When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Gaurd on my pam253

plaifender

dear panerai gods,

So about a week ago, the cg screw under the lever fell out. I emailed Jay about it, and he sent me some new CG screws and a screwdriver to fix my watch. I tried to screw the cg in last night, but unfortunately the screws that jay sent me are about .5mm to short. As a result they don't catch thread when I'm turning the screwdriver. Jay at Silix emailed me saying that it seemed strange that the screws wouldn't fit but that he would try to find longer ones for me but . Am I doing something wrong here? I figured all Panerai CG screws would be the same. are the Screws on my Pam253 different than other models? Any comments and/or suggestions would be great. I miss wearing this watch!!

I would say that I hardly found two PAMs with interchangeable screws (or interchangeable anything, for that). :(

Did you lose the original screw that fell out?

I would say that I hardly found two PAMs with interchangeable screws (or interchangeable anything, for that). :(

Did you lose the original screw that fell out?

yeah I lost the original screw. Jay knew which model I had, so it seems weird that he'd send screws that aren't long enough....

Apart from from asking Jay again, I see two options only:

1 (Qick-and-dirty). If you do not plan to ever remove the movement out from the case, then fasten the crown guard to the case with glue. And fasten the new screw in the empty hole, just for aesthetical reasons.

2 (Trickier but more correct). Preliminarly verify that, with the crown guard removed, the new screw properly engages and fits into its thread in the case.

If it does, then dremel the screw's hole in the crown guard so to make its first part (the larger and unthreaded part, that part that is housing the screw's head) 0.5mm deeper.

This should allow the screw to go 0.5mm deeper into the crown guard and case, down to the point to engage the thread.

The screw's head will look a little too deep, but this should be no problem as it will stay covered by the lever.

Sorry, no better idea so far.

Yes, unfortunately those small screws (together with radiomir lug screws) seem among the hardest parts to source.

I heard that someone found fitting screws in kits for eyeglasses, or at optical shops.