When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM Crowns to Fit Your Handwind...

archibald

As I reported in another thread, my watchmith managed to fit the 1.2mm handwind stem into the .9 mm crowns on my (and kruzer00's and beano2004's) PAM 03 frankens. To me they looks pretty dern good (I've attached rep and gen pics below).

Since I have a few stems laying around and kruzer00 and I have a few crowns left over, I thought I'd offer a very few (6 to 8 at most) stem/crown combos if there is interest. To be honest, I have no idea whether the OEM crowns provide an aesthetic advantage on all handwind models, but I like the way it looks on my 03, and I really like the fact that it functions just as gen--multiple gaskets, spring locking , etc.

These are completely rethreaded stems, not simply shaved w/ the crown glued on, so the crowns can be threaded on and off the stems. That's especially convenient since you may have to shorten the stem to get a good CG fit on your watch.

Note: You or your watchsmith will probably also have to make a new case tube for your watch (Jimmy cases may be an exception. Another member got his Jimmy tube to fit the OEM crown. I did not.) I'd love to offer custom tubes like I have on my watch, but since there is a lot of variation is cases and CG's, you have to have the watch in hand to ensure a perfect fit. I'm not a modder and I just don't have the time or inclination to be responsible for one of your babies while a tube is made and installed. I would be happy, though to share w/ you or your watchsmith what my watchsmith uses to make the tubes and how he goes about doing it.

Also, I understand that you might want to send me one of your crowns to have a stem fit, but sorry, no can do since I don't want to deal w/ recieving, transporting, losing your crown, my smith breaking your crown, arguing about whether your crown had or did not have a little dent on a tooth when you shipped it, etc.

As far as price goes: as always, I'm not expecting to make a dime on this project. But I really don't want to loose a dime either. The cost will be my cost of the crown + my cost of the stem + my watchmith's labor +shipping and packaging. I don't know what per-unit price my smith will charge for 6 or 8 of these, but I guarantee the total cost of materials and labor will be well over $100.

Welp, I think that's about it. So....if you're interested in an OEM crown to put on your handwind, and willing to pay up to say, $150, for the whole shooting match, please reply here.

Gen pic on the left (black background) then 2 reps.

post-53-1188681953_thumb.jpg

post-53-1188681977_thumb.jpg

post-53-1188682044_thumb.jpg