When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with Panerai Power Reserve.

akelly

I am really in love with Panerai Power Reserve watch with the leather strap. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of where and what to look for in a good rep for this model. I saw one listed on a dealer page here at the right price but, when I went to the orginal's website there seemed to be a few very noticable differences that even to a newbie like me could notice. Thanks for your help and sorry for my newness in this matter.

On the ones I've seen with Asian movements, the location and size of the power reserve meter differs by a slight bit compared to the gen. Look at how close the Power Reserve text is to the 4, 5, and 6 hour markers.

There may be more differences, but that is all I have noticed when comparing pics.

If you're talking about the PAM 90, the date font is wrong, the "power reserve" wording is a bit too low, and the original doesn't have date pusher on the case in the 8 o'clock position (at least as far as I can tell from pictures). Still, it's a pretty close rep. There are two styles floaring around. The more expensive one has a better crown guard, the date mag is a bit better, and the back is solid like the gen.

Guest overboosted

For the ultimate get the 027 with Swiss Sopras movement. I think Josh has them available. Quite pricey but woorth it. It has the same movement as the real watch from what I understand.

Yes, if you are after a 027 (the model with big central second hand and PR gauge at 6) the model with ETA 2892-2 movement is your best choice. It's only flaw is that the rotor has 'OFFICNE PANERAI' engraved rather than the correct 'OFFICINE PANERAI'. It is almost microscopic, though, and you can see it only if you open the watch and inspect the movement VERY closely.

A much less expensive 027 is that from Silixprime (80 USD), with asian automatic movement.

If you are after a 090 (the model with small seconds at 9 and PR gauge at 5) the best model is from watchstation (a dealer not accredited here). All other models have the small flaws that fletch512 said, in the size of the PR gauge, and / or the presence of a date change pusher, and / or a see-through caseback, and / or unconsistent serial numbers / writings on the caseback.

As far as I know, no 090 with ETA so far. Just 027 / 028.

Pam90 with ETA is your best bet.

There's no such thing (except perhaps if you include the genuine, which uses a modified Valjoux 7750).

Sometimes this 'ETA is best' obsession gets to ridiculous levels - even to the point when people say you are better off with a watch that doesn't exist over one that does... :huh:

The replica 090's use a movement that shares more than a passing resemblance to an ETA 2892, although it is unquestionably of Asian origin, and is terribly reliable and accurate.

I know because I am wearing mine right now...

The replica 090's use a movement that shares more than a passing resemblance to an ETA 2892, although it is unquestionably of Asian origin, and is terribly reliable and accurate.

I beg you pardon, r11co, my English is playing tricks on me now. Did you use 'terribly' meaning sort of 'terrific'?

In other words, are you satisfied from your 090, or else?

I beg you pardon, r11co, my English is playing tricks on me now. Did you use 'terribly' meaning sort of 'terrific'?

In other words, are you satisfied from your 090, or else?

I think he means "terrific." I have the PAM 90 with the Miyota (what's referred to above as "Asian") movement. It keeps good time, and I've read that it's a very reliable movement.

I think he means "terrific." I have the PAM 90 with the Miyota (what's referred to above as "Asian") movement. It keeps good time, and I've read that it's a very reliable movement.

Yes, r11co has definitely been eager to tell the forums about how good Asian movements have been to him.

I guess most people associate Asian movements with the $20 POS watches that break after 2 days, but the Asian (non 7750) movements from the trusted dealers are definitely worlds apart.

I don't think the movements we call 'Miyota' actually come from the Citizen group factories. Instead I believe they are manufactured by the 'Seagull' operation that gran uncovered a load of information about. Seagull do not hide the fact that their movements are intended to emulate the dimensions and characteristics of other movements - including their own 'ETA 28xx' like series.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if so called 'Asian' ETA movements (including officially sanctioned ones, for ETA do indeed assemble movements outside Switzerland) are in fact produced under license by Seagull or a similar company.

With respect to Asian movements in general, I have indeed had nothing but good experiences with them. Any problems I have had with watches have been down to poor assembly or quality control issues, or my own cack-handedness when attempting repairs. :blush:

Edited by r11co

I can also add my witness that Asian copy of Miyota 82xx have a different size of the small second hand tube than genuine 82xx movements.