When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown winding problem

ahchard

I have just had a problem trying to hand wind my tag link chrono. It just won't wind... the crown turns freely with no resistance. I keep trying, sometimes i can feel the resistance, but alter half a turn there is a click and it seems like the crown came loose and is winding freely again.

I could have sworn that someone had this problem before but I have tried searching with no luck.

Can anyone help?

If you pull slightly on the crown while trying to wind it, does it wind?

If you pull the crown all the way out to the time setting position does it set the time ok?

It sounds like the typical crown problem, the clutch and spring assembly in the crown has failed, and the crown is freewheeling on the stem, pulling slightly to try and engage the stem will tell you if this is the issue. If the crown feels wobbly as well, that is your clue...

RG

crown is wobbly... you are right! if i pull crown out all the way it sets time ok...

tried pulling slightly on the crown in 1st position and winding... and it does! quite a mission though...

thanks rob... i guess there is no easy fix i can DIY?

The problem is the spring in the crown that is supposed to engage and disengage the clutch is too weak and fails...which is why it's wobbly.

As far as I know, there is no way to open the crown up and replace the spring, replacing the whole crown is the only solution. The Omega's suffer from this same issue, especially the SMP Chrono, which is why I replaced mine with a gen.

RG

The problem is the spring in the crown that is supposed to engage and disengage the clutch is too weak and fails...which is why it's wobbly.

As far as I know, there is no way to open the crown up and replace the spring, replacing the whole crown is the only solution. The Omega's suffer from this same issue, especially the SMP Chrono, which is why I replaced mine with a gen.

RG

The Zigmeister - in replacing the crown on your SMP chrono - did you also have to replace the tube? If not - is it easy to get those crowns?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a omega po chrono the latest version with corrected subdial spacing, I noticed it has a wobbly crown, I must add that i have no problem manual winding, setting date or setting time up till now but I just hast the flimsy feeling of the wobbly crown.

I managed to remove the crown and stem( if that is what it is called, I mean the part attached to the crown when the crown is removed by depressing the small round thingy) which is very easy and would like to replace with gen parts.

Can anyone guide me to the correct parts off from Ofrei's site.

Regards

Alex