When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Easy loose lever fix?

m1ke

Hi all,

The lever on my PAM177 has become very loose (I use it every day). I've done a few searches on the subject, but can't see to find a decent solution. I was wondering if anyone had a simple fix for this problem?

Thanks.

Other than sanding/filing the CG where it makes contact with the case, not much. I have done this with some success, but you have to be pretty patient with Ti. Takes a long time to sand enough material off.

Also, be sure to use a VERY flat surface when sanding, or you will create gaps between the case and CG...

Take it slow and easy, and recheck it for fit often during the process. A little too much, and it will be too tight. Trust me on this one...

Guest jdmdohcpower

Very easy fix.

Clear silicon caulk that you get at home depot or other home imporvement place.

Pop your lever off and crown guard, removing the pin. squeze out some silicon and take both of them and push down into the caulk, the holes will fill up with caulk. Put it back together with the pin and wipe extra caulk off, but dont move the lever for 12 hours.

No more loose lever :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by jdmdohcpower

I tried dozens experiments on the loose lever problem.

(As 'loose lever' I mean a lever that is loose when opened, while it is steady and tight when closed -- so shortening the feet of the crown guard is not a solution).

So far, the best solution still stays the insulation wire tube placed around the pin. But it is quite difficult to install. A little less difficult if one makes a longitudinal cut along one side of the tube before installing.

Second best solution is the silicon mentioned by jdmdohcpower. It is way easier, but a little less solid than the first solution. It is also prone to deteriorate with opening and closing the lever.

I also tried this solution with substances other than silicon (liquid rubber, plastic, and so on), and silicon proved to be the best.

Unfortunately the lever on my Davidsen PVD is also loose.

The problem is that you can only see the pin from the frontside.

Because of the PVD coating one can`t see the pin on the backside.

So my question is how to remove the pin without ruin the PVD coating?

Do I need a special tool ?

Any advice and help is welcome.

Thx

Edited by tescardo

The problem is that you can only see the pin from the frontside.

Because of the PVD coating one can`t see the pin on the backside.

So my question is how to remove the pin without ruin the PVD coating?

Do I need a special tool ?

That is odd. PVD coating is just some angstrom thick, so it should not be able to hide a pin's end, neither to affect the ability of removing it.

If you inspect the backside of the CG (where you can't see the pin) VERY closely, is sort of a small circle visible where the pin should come to surface? Or is the CG surface really, completely flat?

Can you post a high-resolution scan, or a macro shot, of the backside of your CG?

Have you tried tightening the screws on the CG holding it to the case ? I did it on my loose 212 CG lever as I read in another one of these threads and it seems to have done the trick

Edited by exper

@sssurfer

Thx for your response,

sadly there is NO small circle visible, it`s completely flat.

The backside is PVD coated as if there has never been a hole for the pin.

@exper

It`s only loose when it`s open.

So tightening the screws on the CG will not resolve the problem.

The pin has to be removed, but where to press when you can`t see the pin?

Regards

sadly there is NO small circle visible, it`s completely flat.

The backside is PVD coated as if there has never been a hole for the pin.

Argh.

I am afraid your diagnosis is correct: if it seems as if there has never been a hole for the pin, then it has likely never been.

In this case the pin is push-in only: once installed, it cannot be removed -- and the problem is not from PVD, but from this very design.

I wonder whether davidsen's CG are all that way (maybe someone can step in and give their testimony?)

If so, you still have a (poor) chance. If there is some clearance between the lever and the crown guard trails, you may try to insert between them and around the pin a small ring taken from a thin foil of some high-attrition matter -- sort of a rubber gasket, but thinner. See the red area in the pic for where to put it (naturally you also need to make a cut on a side of the ring in order to insert it around the pin).

52537-36042.jpg

In this solution you don't put a rubber tube around the pin (between the pin and the lever), but a flat rubber ring between the lever and the CG.

If you manage to insert it, it is usually enough to make the lever not loose anymore. But it is a very hard and tricky task to get it inserted. It depends on how much clearance you have between the lever and the CG.

I hope to have been clear enough, my poor English doesn't help me in these circumstances. My best wishes.

I talked to Davidsen and he promissed to send a new crownguard.

But he is obstinately ignoring my question if it is possible that the lever-pin can`t be removed,

because there is no hole in the backside of the CG.

Davidsen is helpful and collaborative, I surely can witness about it.

I hope that your CG was one-of-its-kind, possibly a starting model, and that new Davidsen's CGs allow for pin removing.

Best wishes again, keep us posted!