When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial misalignement on a MBW 1665

halley

I've received my replacement mbw 1665 - this one is better but there is still a visible misalgniment of the dial on the movement and in consequence the date is not aligned with the date window of the dial and the dial isn't straight on the case,

Can someone point me to someone who can correct this or explain me how to remove and replace the MBW dial, not very confident right now removing the glue and a bit faded with all those problems on watches....I've been in a baaaaddd luck with reps this past months....(3 replacements)

Hi halley! :)

if you look at the side of the movement you see the spacerring under the dial which sits on the movement.

it has some "holes" all around. just take a screwdriver and carefully try to lift up the spacer ring. go a few times all around. that should loosen the glue (which is not very strong). be cautious that you do not stick the screwdriver in too far so taht it touches or damages the datewheel...

I use a razor blade to go around the spacer... I just did this on my 1680 when I swapped the movement out for a slow beat ETA...

Ubi, may I please know the movement that you used for that mod? It also looks like your date is now perfectly aligned in the window. Mine is slightly off to the left - not horribly, but noticeable by me since I'm always stealing glances of my gorgeous 1680.

Thanks guy, I will try my best, only a bit afraid of doing it on a MBW!

Anybody has tips on how to avoid dust on the inside crystal once replacing the movement I can't seem to manage to have a perfectly clean crystal once I disassemble a watch!!

Ubi, may I please know the movement that you used for that mod? It also looks like your date is now perfectly aligned in the window. Mine is slightly off to the left - not horribly, but noticeable by me since I'm always stealing glances of my gorgeous 1680.

Leitz- I have been swapping out my vintage MBW 2836's with 2846's, as they beat at a slower 21600bph, which is closer to a Rolex 1570's 19800bph. This swap may be temporary as I have some AS movements that will work with the pair of genuine 1570 datewheels that I have, but for now I have these slow beaters installed in my 1665, 1680, and 7298.

Getting the dates to line up in the window is an exercise of trial and error. Because I have to reinstall the datewheel overlay onto the 2846, getting it aligned correctly is a bit time consuming. Factor in the installation of the floating Singer dial, and you've got another item that must line up correctly as well.

Thanks guy, I will try my best, only a bit afraid of doing it on a MBW!

Anybody has tips on how to avoid dust on the inside crystal once replacing the movement I can't seem to manage to have a perfectly clean crystal once I disassemble a watch!!

Ludo- Go slow and take your time! For me, mistakes typically happend when I try to rush something, so just relax, and take deep breaths ;)

In all seriousness- I've found that a razor blade helps slice the glue and allows the dial to come off easier. Just go around the diameter, and you should be good. Just be sure to clean the old glue off!

For dust on the dial, I recommend a dust blower. A couple of puffs will take care of any dust particles on the dial or on the underside of the crystal.