When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

questions regarding the asia 7750

macscac

so i am growing fond of the PO chrono.

really debating it over the standard ultimate PO ( both sold by josh)

my question is that ive done some research on the asia 7750 28800bph and i cant seem to find up to date info

is this movement unreliable?

id love to get some info from you guys if possible.

i love the look of the chrono but i will take reliabitlity any day over looks.

thanks everyone

is this movement unreliable?

Only the old A7750 is proven to be very unreliable due to the bad construction of some parts. The highbeat A7750 seems to be a better design according to The Zigmeister, but most need oiling to stay reliable for a longer time.

I've had about 6 watches with the 28.8k A7750 and only one had problems in the chrono part of the movement, which I think can be corrected after a service.

2 common 'problems' with this movement: the time setting is not really accurate because the hands are a bit slippy. But once set it keeps perfect time. Secondly, sometimes the rotor makes more noise than normally on a 7750 - both ETA or Asian. There's a trick to solve this with a tiny bit of grease on the rotor screw.

Good luck and welcome to this board!

I am not a watch expert from the technical point of view, so I can't tell exactly what is wrong. I purchased two watches based on new Asian movement (a BCE and TAG carrera) of course, both have chrono. From a few weeks experience: they both do not keep the exact time , they tend to add 1-2 minutes (not seconds) everyday and I have to adjust backwards every few days. I have an ETA steelfish to compare and this is really an exact watch, nothing like the other two. Regarding the chronograph: the carrera works perfectly, while in the BCE the dial at 12 oclock (shows minutes when the chrono is operated) is erratic, sometimes it works but usually it does'nt. I keep the watch because I don't really care about the chrono and I am not using it anyway and also I don't have time to deal with shipping the watch back and forth overseas for fixing. I don't know any watchmaker who can deal with this movement, so I keep it and consider it as my bad luck. Maybe you will be more lucky you may try. I prefer to go from now on for ETA watches like "UPO" (which I think is superior from any point of view, but againI am not an expert, I just read the outstanding reviews in this forum), and I am expecting soon an ETA 45 "UPO", of course without chronograph.

From a few weeks experience: they both do not keep the exact time , they tend to add 1-2 minutes (not seconds) everyday and I have to adjust backwards every few days. I have an ETA steelfish to compare and this is really an exact watch, nothing like the other two.

Keeping 'perfect time' also has to do with regulating the watch. See Mahler's post in: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...=0&#entry12 to do it yourself. I expect ETA movements to be better regulated 'out of the box' than Chinese movements like the A7750.

Have you already serviced your watch? I bet the erratic behaviour of the subdial will disappear instantly after servicing.

@ macsac: to enjoy your watch for a long time it's always a good idea to have it serviced with people like The Zigmeister directly after your purchase. Unless it's a very cheap watch you don't intend to keep for a longer time. I would also advice not to use the chrono function unless the movement is serviced.

However, this is how it works:

The 2 o'clock pusher starts the chrono. The second time you push it will 'pause' the chrono. A third time pushing the same button lets it run again.

To reset to zero first pause the chrono with the 2 o'clock pusher, then reset with the 4 o'clock pusher. Never try to reset without first pausing the chrono with the 2 o'clock pusher.

Very important: on a chronograph (either rep or gen) never ever try to quick set the date between 7 PM and 2 AM. This will damage your watch. I know from experience...

well it doesnt sound like there is a resounding "yes! this is a good movement!" so i think i may stay away.

nothing would bum me more than purchasing this watch and have it not keep good time or god forbid, just stop

Unfortunately there is no simple yes or no on any rep movement which has not been serviced.

However, there are some movements that are a proven 'no': 7750 with modded seconds at 6, slow beat Asian 7750 and some unidentifiable chinese movements.

Most reps with Swiss 2824/7750/'Unitas' movements will perform pretty well out of the box without initial servicing and from what I read from other members most Chinese 21j movements are not so bad either.

Some 28.8 Asian 7750 will do fine the first couple of months/years if you're lucky. So this is typically a movement you want to service directly after purchase if the watch is going to be a keeper.

Or you can try your luck and have it repaired/serviced the moment problems arise......

Good luck!

P.S. Personally, I wouldn't bother too much and buy the PO Chrono and have it serviced with a rep friendly local watch smith (no AD).

OK!

so is the best way to find a smith is to just call in the phonebook and just openly admit i have a replica and ask if they will clean/service it for me?

Be prepared that not every watch smith is willing to work on reps. You can also check The Zigmeister (Canada). He's very experienced in servicing A7750's.

Be prepared that not every watch smith is willing to work on reps. You can also check The Zigmeister (Canada). He's very experienced in servicing A7750's.

isnt that kind of risky running it thru customs so much?

from china to america, then from america to canada and back to america again?

I don't know. Maybe you can ask The Zigmeister what his experience is with customs for a package comming from China.

If you think it's too risky than you'd better check the local watch smith..

Billions of dollars in trade go between Canada and the USA each day, we are your largest trading partner.

Millions of packages go accross the border via the post office each day...with no problems, since when is shipping north of the border a risk?

Your better of finding someone locally that can help.

RG

Maybe I am missing something, but I still think that for most of us who are not car racers, James Bonds or planning to land on the moon, the chronographs are mainly for beauty purpose (which is very important of course) and are not a real need for a good watch

Billions of dollars in trade go between Canada and the USA each day, we are your largest trading partner.

Millions of packages go accross the border via the post office each day...with no problems, since when is shipping north of the border a risk?

Your better of finding someone locally that can help.

RG

Z, i want trying to be offensive. ive never shipped anything to canada.

id love to have you service the watch if you are interested. what do you charge and what would your timeframe be.

i will be buying this watch aprox the 11th of oct.

thank you