When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai overload

dewk6600

So I joined the forum a week about a week ago and have been blown away by the insightful information available. The only problem is that I'm overwhelmed at all of the info. I'm interested in getting a Panerai rep, but just can't make up my mind. I want something basic and reliable, but there are just too many too pick from. If anyone could help me find a place to get started it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

P.S.: I would put a few pics up of the styles that interest me, but I'm not sure if its frowned upon to use pics from dealers sites

So I joined the forum a week about a week ago and have been blown away by the insightful information available. The only problem is that I'm overwhelmed at all of the info. I'm interested in getting a Panerai rep, but just can't make up my mind. I want something basic and reliable, but there are just too many too pick from. If anyone could help me find a place to get started it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

P.S.: I would put a few pics up of the styles that interest me, but I'm not sure if its frowned upon to use pics from dealers sites

For some basic comparisons, www.paneristi.com is a good place to start. It has a reference page at http://www.paneristi.com/reference/vendome/index.html which can be helpful.

Questions questions... manual or automatic winding? 40mm, 44mm, 45mm or 47mm? Black, brown or white dials?

In my opinion, 'basic and reliable' will be a 44mm engined by a swiss 6497 manual wind with functional swan-neck, either a Luminor Base PAM112 (SS) or PAM176 (Ti), or a Luminor Marina PAM111 (SS) or PAM177 (Ti). If you like a 44mm with a logo, try a PAM000 (Base) or PAM005 (Marina). If you prefer a Radiomir, go for PAM183.

Though not swiss movements, the automatics are not bad too. Automatics are mostly engined by Asian 7750 or 7753 movements. Ensure you ask for the new 28,800bps movements, which are more reliable.

My advice? If you find that you like more than just one PAM, start planning for a collection. Don't get all now. Get one. Digest your love for it. See for yourself what you like about the watch other than just the look of it... the weight, the feel of it on your wrist, the 'power'. Learn more about it so you'd know better which PAM you'd like to get next.

Thanks for the great suggestions! This forum is truly exceptional and unlike any forum I've visited before (of any topic) when it comes to insightful and kind people.

I don't know much about the mechanics of watches, but I do have one question that I can't seem to find an answer for that I actually understand (haha). So, what is the swan neck and what does it do? Also, what is the bph of the 6497?

Thanks,

Tyler

Welcome Tyler. I don't write much but I can tell you this:

Best swiss 6497 with swan neck is the way to go. The swan neck is a device that lets a watchsmith micro adjust (and hold that position) the regulator wich determines if the balance wheel is too fast or too slow. In short words it's what determines if the watch is accurate in keeping time (if well adjusted). Beware not all swan necks offered are functional.

To answer your next question, the 6497 offered in our reps has a 18000 bhp, while the gen 6497-2 has 21000 bhp. Either way, the swiss ETA 6497-1 is a work horse and you won't be dissapointed.

And my last piece of advise: if your budget allows it, go for a 44mm from Davidsan. Best PAM you can get IMHO.

Cheers!

And my last piece of advise: if your budget allows it, go for a 44mm from Davidsan. Best PAM you can get IMHO.

As much as I love the Davidsen (DSN) watches, I have grown to prefer the stock cases that come with regular CN 44mm Marinas. I'm not sure how to explain this (as this might be an objective opinion), but here's a pic to illustrate:

1400615032_8f78086c06.jpg1400665584_4f36875137.jpg

The watch on the left is my PAM005 from DSN while the one on the right is a regular PAM111H from TWP. If you look carefully the lugs, you will see that the 111H has wider lugs viewing from the front. Compare these two to the pic of a gen Marina (e.g. google up "Panerai 111H" for shots in a variety of angles) and you'd find the the gens have wider lugs too. Also, edges of the 111H also look and feel sharper than the 005.

But that doesn't mean I don't like DSN watches. For 005, I would recommend DSN version as the logo looks more accurate than the regular. For an 'H' sandwich dial, I'd prefer the factory regular.

So, in summary, I do not agree that all DSN are the best. Some are better but some not. It depends on what you want. So do consider BOTH DSN and a modded regular (e.g. from TWP). Take some consideration and do a bit of research. You won't regret the homework done.

Edited by seraphe

Guest carlsbadrolex

I will also agree that quality of quantity is the key to planning a nice collection. I will also advise, that PLANNING a collection is the way to go. Because there is no way to stop at just one... YOU WILL start with one, and then buy another, and then another... And THEN you will have a collection. It just happens!

My first Panerai was the 188 with Swiss 7753 movement. I had never had a Panerai, never even touched a real one. It was well worthe every penny of the $750 I paid for it. And now it wears a genuine strap and deployant. I didnt expect to like it, but I fell in love with it. I then bought a Ferrari Fer0002, and just this week I picked up an INCREDIBLE DSN "Fiddy". Without a doubt, the "Fiddy" is the single most accurate rep Ive ever owned. I took it to the AD today to pick up some screws and tubes, and wore it. I spent over an hour in the shop and never once was it questioned. Of course had I taken it off and handed it to anyone, Im sure they would have found something...

The one thing I see on all Panerai with a date is that the font is wrong... So I would stay away from any of those. Also the cyclops tends to be bad. Stay away from any of the non-Swiss movements, REMEMBER quality... not quantity!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

The less features you have on your PAM, the less places for flaws you get.

That is why the 112 is (usually) better than a 111, that is (usually) better than a date model, that is (usually) better than complicated (chrono, GMT, PR etc) models.

Still, if you cannot resign yourself to base models (e.g., I absolutely need second hand for my work, and date for my Alzheimer) you may find some good reps. The 050 is a good out-of-the-box rep, and the 029, 063, and high-cost 027 can be made almost perfect with some mods. There are rumors that almost perfect 104 and 164 are near to get released.

You also have to take into account your wrist size. PAMs are usually large (44mm), often huge (47mm). If you have a small wrist you might want to focus on 40mm models, max. 44mm.

About the swan neck regulator, here is a pic. On the right you see the whole swan neck regulator device, with a(n incorrect) needle-shaped regulator. On the left there is a 'dagger'-shaped regulator (correct on PAMs).

swanneckgmovementdn1.jpg