When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I change the crystal on my Vintage IWC ?

wadan

Hi to all ,

I was wondering if I should replace the crystal on this watch with an acrylic one ,

Do you think it will give the watch a more vintage persona?

In that case dose any body know where can I source a 43mm acrylic or Palixi Crystal ?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice

Cheers

post-2882-1190719136_thumb.jpgpost-2882-1190719162_thumb.jpg

Wow, I'd always thought that your crystal was acrylic! What nonsense to put anything else but acrylic :D

Anyhow, u probably should bring the watch to a watch supply warehouse so that u can have a crystal fitted for you.

Alternatively, pop out the crystal and measure the case where the crystal fits with digital calipers. Then u can mail order a crystal. Cost is less than $10. The only trouble with mail order is u can't see or really specify how much of a dome you'd like.

I highly recommend this mod though. I did it to my black IWC Jones frankenwatch. Check the archives for my thread if u want to see before and after pics.

Cheers

PS. Vintage watches only have acrylic crystals :)

Wow, I'd always thought that your crystal was acrylic! What nonsense to put anything else but acrylic :D

Anyhow, u probably should bring the watch to a watch supply warehouse so that u can have a crystal fitted for you.

Alternatively, pop out the crystal and measure the case where the crystal fits with digital calipers. Then u can mail order a crystal. Cost is less than $10. The only trouble with mail order is u can't see or really specify how much of a dome you'd like.

I highly recommend this mod though. I did it to my black IWC Jones frankenwatch. Check the archives for my thread if u want to see before and after pics.

Cheers

PS. Vintage watches only have acrylic crystals :)

There is something lovely about the warmth that acrylic lends to a vintage watch. There is nothing quite like it.

Anyhow, there are 2 ways to install an acrylic crystal. Which method you use will depend upon what kind of acrylic crystal you have.

The first method applies to a crystal that has is a 'pressure-fitted' type. You would need to use a crystal retaining device that squeezes the crystal from all sides to a slightly smaller diameter than your case. You insert the crystal and release the device's grip. The crystal will be firmy installed into your case. This is a very common way to fit acrylic crystals, in fact, most vintage watches have crystals installed like this. And this is the best way to install an acrylic crystal. Why? Because your crystal won't pop off (which can happen with glued crystals).

The second method is to install a crystal that fits into the case, but one that fits somewhat loosely. This is the type of crystal that you should glue to the case. It can be a little messy despite using a glue made for crystals (such as GS Crystal Glue). This is an easy method, and you might end up having to install your cystal this way if you can't find a properly exact fitting crystal.

Here are the tools for the job.

They are inexpensive and worth having.

gswn9.png

crystalremoverps6.png

calipersdy2.png

Cheers :)

PS. If you ever want to sell and/or trade your watch, please let me know! :D