When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross : BR01 Rep vs. Gen comparison

anton

Well, I may be a bit harsh in my statement, but when a dealer states that a certain watch is replicated 1:1, I would expect that when parts are made for the gen, they should fit for the rep. Today I pulled the trigger on a gen BR01-96 (Big Date) so now to compliment my three reps is one gen. I would like to complete the collection and get a BR01-94 someday.

To diffrentiate, the one on the left is the rep and the one on the right is the gen.

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

(This is the case side, with strap removed, on the gen)

DSC00267.jpg

When viewing the two side by side, the flaws are apparent on the rep. To me, the most glaring flaw on the rep is that the case screws are of low quality and slightly off-centered. It doesn't look right when 95% of the watch looks new and the four screws that can barely be "dinged" up are the ones with the chips. You can also see that on the rep, the lume markers are mis-aligned. Although the hand sizes are correct, you can see on the gen that half the hand is sort of a "brushed metal" appearance whereas on the rep it's just a matte silver.

When looking at the caseback, the most obious flaw is the laser etching of the four faux screws. Everyone knows of that flaw, but two more apparent flaws are the addition of "military spec." text on the rep (It doesn't exist on the silver versions of the gen; only on the PVD models) and the measurement of the hex screw should be shown as "1,3mm", not "1.3mm".

Last but not least, two reasons why I don't call the piece 1:1 -

1) Case lugs are detachable on the gen whereas they are part of the case on the rep. Somehow I think the BR01 rep is based on the BR03, since the BR03 does NOT have screws on the back.

2) Hex screws on the lugs are not compatible with the kex key set I received with the watch. On the gen, it is an actual 1.3mm whereas on the rep I has to use a 1.5mm key in order to get it moving.

Still, the rep's construction quality is great and still a beauty to the eyes. If you've ever considered this watch a monstrosity, think twice. I have 6.75" wrists and the watch fits right on my wrist, end to end.

Thanks for the great review and comparison!

Apart from the faults you pointed out about the screw size and location and so, are you positive that the gen 01-97 back is identical to the 01-96 back?

And... who is the dealer claiming this 1:1?

Thanks for the great review and comparison!

Apart from the faults you pointed out about the screw size and location and so, are you positive that the gen 01-97 back is identical to the 01-96 back?

And... who is the dealer claiming this 1:1?

I went to three different ADs in the city who had either iteration of the BR01 series in stock. PVD models say "military spec." on the caseback. Silver models do not.

So far, I saw the (in)famous brand9 claim it's 1:1.

And lest I forget, the the text on the BR01 92/94/96/97 is the same UNLESS:

1) the caseback is PVD

2) its a LE model; then the text "limited edition" should appear where the model number/serial is and the text "aviation type [and/or] military spec." is replaced in favor of the model/serial.

I went to three different ADs in the city who had either iteration of the BR01 series in stock. PVD models say "military spec." on the caseback. Silver models do not.

And lest I forget, the the text on the BR01 92/94/96/97 is the same UNLESS:

1) the caseback is PVD

2) its a LE model; then the text "limited edition" should appear where the model number/serial is and the text "aviation type [and/or] military spec." is replaced in favor of the model/serial.

Very very very interesting! Thanks!

So far, I saw the (in)famous brand9 claim it's 1:1.

'brand9'? :blink: