When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam127 Crystal Install Help

M3Vert

As I posted in a previous topic, the crystal on my Fiddy smashed one night while it sat on my night stand. I have finally gotten my hands on a replacement sapphire crystal but my local watchsmith doesn't have the right tool to do the job. He actually said, "My tool is too small." It was all I could do not to crack up right in his shop. Anyway, now I have the parts and no one to install it for me.

Can anyone recommend someone on the forum who can help me out? I talked to RBJ about a project a while ago so I'll reach out to him. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who might be close to me geographically that would be willing to take on the work.

Thanks,

Steve

I once refitted a particually tough snap-on back using a couple of socket wrenches and a suitably padded drill-press, when my watch mender's tool failed to do the job.

Worked for me - you get very fine control on that big wind-down handle.

But you proceed at your own risk... if you crush the watch, don't blame me.

Or... just a thought... try fitting the crystal cold. Pop it in the freezer overnight and hope that it contracts enough for you to be able to just press it into place with your thumbs.

Resist the urge to warm the watch in the oven first. That works for crankshaft bearings on British motorbikes... but might be too extreme for a wristwatch. And you'd burn your thumbs.

Best of luck!

Did you source the crystal from Davidsen? Is it 1:1 to the original? If so and you can snap off the bezel and send me all necessary parts I'd be happy to do it for you. You pay shipping and send me $5 bucks to ship back. I'll need the original bezel, original gasket, and the new crystal.

I put a sapphire in mine about 2 weeks ago and I just love it! I only wish the back glass were sapphire too, I noticed a few nicks in it this past week!

Cheers,

:victory:

Jon

Here's pics of mine completed.

54008-35767.jpg

54008-35768.jpg

54008-35769.jpg

54008-35770.jpg