When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sorry, I have a very stupid question, C1 & C3 Lume

rckh

Dear All:

Would u please kindly educate me what is the different between C1 & C3 lume?

Are they just different colour? Or C1 lume is stronger than C3 (brightness)?

Also; which one should be choose for 111H as close to Gen?

Thx for your help!

Best Regards,

Raymond

As said, C1 is white and C3 is green. People mix them to try and match up to gen. I don't. In general I have found that C3 matches up just fine. I have a couple of watches with gen hands and rep dials and I relumed them with straight C3. They are automatics though so hand winds may be different. Also I haven't spent enough time with gens to look at the differences from model to model. The gens I either own or have owned have matched up nicely to C3 (once again only automatics).

I am not sure if the comment up above about mixing C1 and C3 resulting in a brighter glow is actually correct. What I do know is the more super lume the better - irrespective of color. I was actually curious if there was a scientific explanation as to why one color might glow longer or brighter than another.

C3 will produce green color when charged, but creamy yellowish when not.

Most of the PAM historics, going back to between 1999 to 2002 come with almost pure unadaltured C3 superlume. Later models beggining from E-series onwards use custom mix of C3 and (most likely) C1.

H-series onwards are mostly off-white (C1?) lumed, but again mixed with a small portion of another SL either C3 or C5, or again something completely different.

If what Tritec claims is anything to go by, Panerai always used C3 and nothing else on their watches, which is IMO incorrect.

Panerai might be sourcing C3 from Tritec, but then another luminous compound from somewhere else, without telling Tritec about it. It only takes a quick glance of later series Pam000 or 005 @AD to come to realize the lume is almost completely "white".

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola