When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Laptop Display Adjustment, Vista

Physher007

So I somehow managed to run over my laptop with may car (stone sober I swear), and put a 2 inch crack in the screen. I went and purchased a new laptop already but I am planning on putting the cracked on on Ebay.

I am trying to find a way to adjust the usable portion of my display. The entire right 2 inches of my display are dead so I would like to "turn them off" so that the entire background fits within the working portion of the display.

If anyone here has any ideas for me, I sure would appreciate it.

That sounds like a hardware-related issue, so I think you need to find out how alignment and screen size are adjusted for your particular monitor. If you don't know how, I sugges that you either refer to the documentation that came with the laptop or go to the manufacturer's web site for instructions.

Good luck with your sale. With a cracked monitor I don't know how much you are going to get for it. My guess is that the cost of repairing the existing monitor is such that it may not make sense to do so. Thus the buyer is likely to use the laptop either for spare parts or with an external monitor.

Just buy a new/second hand screen, depending on the make, you should be able to find someone with a screen. Then, sell or keep as a backup laptop.

I decide to feed my laptop a pint of beer (moment of madness) a few months back. Thought I'd killed it when the screen blacked out, somehow it survived with only a dead keyboard. Found a 2nd hand keyboard, fitted it and good as new.

supprisingly tough DELL laptops