When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen or Rep? Please help...

coffeegeek

Hi,

I'm having difficulty determining whether this watch is gen or a replica. A Breitling Chronomat (with ref #808 and +217012) on back. It was given to my father a few years back, where it went into the sock drawer. There are a few things about it that say genuine, but some inconsistencies that make me worry.

In the movement, I can see a logo stamped under the balance wheel, and 175. So it's a venus 175 movt. There are also the letters "TJ" under the balance wheel. The case back has all the appropriate stamps and logos, and inside the case back is identical to genuine.

The main hands look genuine, just need a re-lume, but the subdial hands look wrong. Also, the face says "Breitling Premier", but no "swiss made" or "geneve".

It's missing the slide rule bezel, and has no "B" on the crown.

Is this a Genuine that's been bastardized, or is it a rep (that's probably been bastardized too!) Please let me know if you'd like to see photos of anything else, I have a good macro camera. Also, if anyone has a spare pillar wheel/column wheel, as outlined in the picture, or an appropriate bezel, please let me know.

bface.jpg

back.jpg

Thanks,

Coffeegeek

It is a genuine which is bastardized as you mention.

Not original crown, but most likely original hands. The Premier dial is not correct for a 808 Chronomat, and is most likely a redial. The Venus 175 movement though, seems to have the correct bridge for the model.

This is what it most likely should look like.

breitling_steel_chronomat_808.jpg

In original condition, it is a very desirable vintage Breitling. :)

History and pictures of "The slide rule Chronomats": HERE

Some specific information on the genuine Chronomat 808 can you find HERE

Vintage Chronomats are of my favorite vintage watches, as you can see from the ad in my signature..." A dozen uses for hundred professions" :)