When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought my first Pam - tell me where I went wrong

Fidestro

Hello all,

I just purchased my first Panerai rep, but hopefully not last. I was on Josh's site the other day placing an order for a few things and decided to add a Panerai to my order. I love the look of the 1950 and have been giving serious thought to buying one from DSN but have been hesitant due to some things I have read on here. I realized while placing my order with Josh that I have never even tried on a watch as big as 47mm, my biggest watch is my PO. I ended up deciding to buy a cheap Pam to see if I liked the size. The one that I ended up going with is a 203, you can find it on the PC site by looking for PN20302 Pam 203 1950 8 days Asia Unitas 6497. I hope to receive the watch by the end of the week, but I was hoping some of the experts could tell me what all may be a miss in this watch. For the price, I am not overly concerned about it, but I was curious.

Thanks and I look forward to speaking with all of you in the near future. I have a feeling that I am going to be here a while.

If you like the watch, that is all that counts. The 203 is a limited edition watch that sells for around 100k if you can find one. I certainly couldn't pull off that watch.

I have owned about 15 pams in the last 3+ years. I've liked them all. My faves and current watches are a fully modded 111h and a 187. 47mm is pretty large. I can pull it off, but I'm a pretty big guy with meat hooks for arms/hands.

Check it out.

post-420-1191949519_thumb.jpg

post-420-1191949475_thumb.jpg

If you like the watch, that is all that counts. The 203 is a limited edition watch that sells for around 100k if you can find one. I certainly couldn't pull off that watch.

I have owned about 15 pams in the last 3+ years. I've liked them all. My faves and current watches are a fully modded 111h and a 187. 47mm is pretty large. I can pull it off, but I'm a pretty big guy with meat hooks for arms/hands.

Check it out.

Thanks for the photos. I doubt the size will bother me and I am a bit of a bigger guy as well. When I went from my Seamaster to my Planet Ocean it was a bit of a shock, now it does not bother me. Now when I put on my Submariner it feels like wearing a beer cap it feels so small. If Orlando Bloom can pull of a large Panerai, it should be a cake walk for me.

If the 203 is 100k, I guess I am really gonna look loaded! Where I live no one has ever heard of Panerai, so I should be safe. Like I said, I was more interested in the size. Do you have a preferred dealer? I would like to pick up a Fiddy, a 177, maybe something PVD as well.

If the Planet Ocean isn't a problem, then I doubt the 127 would be too much of a stretch, although, it must be noted that Panerai watches wear much larger than the Planet Ocean. A lot of that, I attribute to the strap. On a Planet Ocean, the strap totally fills the lugs, drawing the eye up to the bezel. On a PAM, the strap terminates at the bottom 3rd of the lugs, with the rest of the case coming up at 90 degrees from that. The actual size and height might be the same, but one is much more jarring on the eye than the other, which is more flowing. Of course, the 127 is larger than the standard PAMs, as well as the domed crystal, so that's another factor, but overall, I'd still say if the Planet Ocean's not a problem, and as you noted, if Orlando Bloom can wear one, I'm sure you'll be fine. Best of luck with your purchases :)