When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Platinum Datejust; does it exist?

Desuetude

As the title asks, is there really such a thing? A co-worker of mine wears a datejust, which he told me is extremely rare version made of PT (even though the oyster bracelet is brushed???). I had been meaning to ask a question online confirming whether or not this was the case. Tonight, while having sushi and some drinks, it came up in conversation that he recently bought a new bracelet for it from Rolex, which ran to the tune of 9k. He also offered to let me hold it/wear it the next time I saw it.

Obviously, the last bit will end any speculation on whether or not the watch is actually PT...I do know what a gen DJ feels like, and if it is truly PT, it will be a brick. That said, given that he was wearing his Cartier today, I couldn't feel it for myself. Therefore, I pose a question to all of the really serious rolex buffs out there...what's the deal with this? Was there really a full PT datejust made (he said there are less than 350 of them). That said, this guy would NOT be the type to BS me, nor would he be the type to buy it from a shady non-AD store (he said he got it when he was in france). That said, I just wanted to confirm, since my brief searches have turned up nothing. Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

To the best of my knowledge, Rolex never produced (for commercial sale) a Platinum Datejust. They did produce a very small number of 18k white gold versions on 18k jubilee bracelets, very briefly, during the early 80s. These were distinguished by their sapphire crystals (while the standard Datejust at the time donned a plastic crystal) and solid 18k end links.

wgdj.jpg

Guest watchbuff

I have heard for some "custom" platinum cases being made by request by the most distinguished customers. I have never seen one but Liz Taylor gave one to Richard Burton as a gift during of of their many marriages. Go figure, this is the same lady that ordered a Rolls silver Spur with real Mink for carpet upholstery.

It is very difficult to say.

If it is eventually confirmed that 350 or so Datejusts were made in platinum, does that mean that you have seen - touched - held one of the gens?

A good story can accompany a good rep.

I have a sub rep which was made in only a few dozen gen examples. I wear it every day and no one has asked. I have never been asked to tell a story, and wouldn't, but the guy I report to has a great vintage Datejust which he wears once in a while (it's an awesome, well worn two tone on a jubilee band), and the Vice President has a Rolex President which he wears once in a while.

They have plausibility.

So do I.

Carl