When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep price confusion

newf

Hi, Guys,

I'm a little confused by some of the ads I've read on the trusted dealer sites.

I've been looking at Rolex Daytona reps mostly and they seem to fall betwen the $200 and $300 mark.

Then today I see an ad on PAM111 for $999.00 for a similar Daytona rep - here's the ad.

W-1611 AUTOMATIC SWISS 7750 @6 FOR MAN DAYTONA-WHITE

[W-1611] $999.00

W-1611 AUTOMATIC RUNNING SECOND @6

SWISS 7750 FOR MAN DAYTONA-WHITE

Working Chronograph

Diameter of case:40mm * 12mm

Movement:

Automatic Swiss 7750

Glass:Sapphire crystal

Sub dials:

9:00:12 hours chrono

3:00:30 mins chrono

6:00:small seconds

- 3/6/9/12 @ 9 position

- O-ring

- 3D sticker

- screws on the band

- Serial no. & model no. between lugs

Is this what is meant by the super reps and are they that much superior to the earlier reps I mentioned.

As you can tell I'm a newbie and really getting confused.

Newf

Welcome aboard...stick around...read the forums...use the search button...and all will be revealed. You will find people here are generally really helpful, and there are some REALLY knowledgeable people around to answer all your questions.

I'm pretty new at this as well...but finding it quite interesting to read all the news and have questions answered.As to your question, to make a long story short...this is not what is referred to as a super rep. Super reps are generally considered the ones that are considerably closer to a gen than the others.

Reps considered "super reps" are the Breitling SFSO, IWC Cousteau Diver, HBB, Omega UPO, and I'm not sure which others.

The difference in price you are looking at between the low priced and high priced models happens to do with the movement used in the watches. Most $300 chrono reps use an Asian (or New Asian) Valjoux 7750 movement. The Zigmeisterzumba (a superstar poster here and fountain of horlogical knowledge) has done a breakdown of this movement (full details are available to RWG Supporters aka VIPs who pay extra to have their memberships upgraded to support the board and in return get access to additional areas of the board).

The bottom line is that earlier version of the Asian 7750 were flaky...but the New Asian 7750 is pretty good. With proper service, The Zigmeister says the 7750 should run a long time!A local watchmaker here says the New Asian 7750 movement is pretty good, but the gears are rougher than a true Swiss 7750.The $999 rep uses a Swiss 7750. Undeniably a better movement out of the box as the New Asian's generally arrive a little dry on the oiling and generally should be serviced around the 9 month mark to avoid dry gears running metal-on-metal.

The Swiss ETA 7750 movement new, blister sealed from ETA can cost around $600 CDN...but a refurbished (generally referred to as new) NOS or equivalent can be had as low via group-buys for $275 USD (remember...this is just for the movement...no labour...no watch). A New Asian 7750 is around $60 for the movement.

Hope this helps.