When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noobmariner or GMT

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

SO my question to the experts and all who may know.

I really am liking a submariner as a Christmas gift to me, However, ther GMT watches are kind of nice and somewhat practical for me.

IS aTTK Noobmariner really the closest "out of the box" rep? Any other dealers have the same rep?

Finally where is the "best" GMT ? Who has it?

I am talking in terms of aesthetics first, then function. Is there really a functional difference, lifespan term between the asian or swiss movements on the latest of these two watches?

I really think the Sub style watches are sweet, A GMY or A Noobmariner?

SO my question to the experts and all who may know.

I really am liking a submariner as a Christmas gift to me, However, ther GMT watches are kind of nice and somewhat practical for me.

IS aTTK Noobmariner really the closest "out of the box" rep? Any other dealers have the same rep?

I am talking in terms of aesthetics first, then function. Is there really a functional difference, lifespan term between the asian or swiss movements on the latest of these two watches?

I really think the Sub style watches are sweet, A GMY or A Noobmariner?

I'd say go with the Noobmariner. If you put up a WTB ad on the boards, you will likely get several offered to you with quick domestic shipping. There are hundreds of them out there.

If you order from the source, you may not get it by Christmas....Check some of the threads about delayed shipments, Thai customs issues, and other excuses for loooooong delivery times.

Have a happy Yule.

--Doc

You're asking a few questions here.

"Closest out of the box?"

For a Rollie...likely.

"any other dealers have the same rep?"

I'll find out soon. People swear by TTK's. Josh can get the same case serial on his Beginmariner which "should" have all the key features of TTK's...and Andrew uses the same case serial on both his newbie mariner as well as his regular subs. Whether or not they are actually the same is a different issue. I'm waiting for the second delivery from Josh on my Beginmariner...his first one stunk as outlined here:

Toad's Begin vs. Noob Guide

Where to get a good GMT?

See By-Tor's GMT Guide

Functional?

By-Tor's guide talks about the problems with the GMT hand on the various versions that have the correct and incorrect hand stack.

Personally, I like the look of the GMT arm, but I don't like the 24hr markers on the bezel insert. I like the markers on the Sub bezel insert more...that's a personal taste thing.

Happy shopping.

Guest watchbuff

When you get your order, let me know. I am starting to think the "better" watches are just personally hand picked for QC fit and finish. I could essetially spend 98-488$ on the same watch from a dealer with the same cae# and serial # etc. The only difference is it is clained to be "serviced" and pressure tested. The only worth is maybe getting an ETA over an Asian. Even that is debateable since these asian movements are keeping up with their chinese counerparts in longevity.

When you get your order, let me know. I am starting to think the "better" watches are just personally hand picked for QC fit and finish. I could essetially spend 98-488$ on the same watch from a dealer with the same cae# and serial # etc. The only difference is it is clained to be "serviced" and pressure tested. The only worth is maybe getting an ETA over an Asian. Even that is debateable since these asian movements are keeping up with their chinese counerparts in longevity.

You got it...to answer:

Ok...wouldn't be surprised...yup...yup...yup...and YUP!! B)

Mind you...for modding...starting with ETA movements may mean better compatibility with gen parts than with asian movements.