When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$40 Patek Philippe

warmodder

Someone posted a topic about watches under $50 dollars in the general section. I thought I might help out by showing what $40 bux will get you on Canal street in the city. I'm really new to watch collecting, and I can't find anything that screams replica...you can probably tell better than I though! It keeps pretty decent time, and all the complications work. (The date's off because its been sitting in a drawer for a while) I guess the movement is generic asian...again though I dunno.

I've taken some pics, but I don't have a macro lens so they aren't too amazing. I hope they're enough to work out the details though.

post-7919-1193860739_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this is a real watch. I couldn't find it on the web, so I'd imagine it isn't really based on anything. The face looks good though. The dials are nicely textured and no words are misspelled. It doesn't say 'swiss made' at the bottom--just swiss. I don't think this is a flaw though as some swiss products do just say swiss.

post-7919-1193861131_thumb.jpg

Here's the side profile. I couldn't get a shot of the crystal, but it's domed on top which is quite nice imo. The case seems a bit thick though. I don't have anything to compare it to, but that's just an observation.

post-7919-1193861240_thumb.jpg

The case back is probably the biggest indicator that it's a rep. Like I said before, the movement appears to be generic asian with some patek engraving on the rotor. This was my first mechanical watch, so the clear back is really cool even if the technology is no great shakes. One other fault is the logo engraving on the back. The logo doesn't line up with the crown too well. It's also kinda difficult to see especially if you're wearing the watch!

post-7919-1193861480_thumb.jpg

This last picture I used the flash for, so the colors are a little flat. The bracelet is not terrible. It says leather on one side with their logo on the other. The leather is a little stiff and this small metal clasp on one part digs into your wrist, but it's all in all relatively functional. I'm fond of the reddish color.

I feel quite satisfied for the price I paid. This watch looks great with a suit, and equally good with casual wear. What do you guys think of it? I'm interested to know because I'm far from an expert when it comes to watches (although I consider myself slightly more astute than the general public) and this particular model on anyones wrist would more than likely fool me.

I hope you've enjoyed my overview! Cheers,

-Justin