When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Defective aftermarket crowns.

RWG Technical

I would say 90% of the aftermarket crowns I have received, are defective.

The defect is the same on all of them, they are drilled crooked where the stem inserts into them.

These are the "Palp" or "PAM" crowns that are being sold.

I just got 3 more of them in for installation, and the owner was hoping that at least one would be usable, have a look at what I got.

CROWN 1

1.jpg

2.jpg

CROWN 2

3.jpg

4.jpg

CROWN 3 (installed on the watch, as it was the one with the less of a bend in it)

5.jpg

6.jpg

How hard is it to screw a stem into the crown and test it before you ship it out?

Or better yet, how hard is it to put drill the hole at a 90 degree angle to the crown face, so it's not defective.

I am not sure of the price of these crowns, but this is unaceptable. Anyone else have or note this problem with theirs?

RG

i received two from the last run...I have installed one and DAMN it was difficult...the thread on the crown is off axis...and it was difficult to screw the thred in...still it ain't perfect...but there is not much I can do...

the other one I got, is still in my watch box with other parts since originally I wanted to install it on my 027 but I gave up since the rep crown is pretty good on it...

and yes, they are bit expensive if you look the bad quality of the thread where the stem goes in...

mine too :angry:

If ound it amazing that people were buying these like hotcakes for automatics when OEM crowns were available for less money (yeah, I know about the CG "hole" thing, but the palps are still way too thick)

But, this does explain the crown tilt problem on a watch I recieved in trade. OEM's going in that piece, but I was hoping to use the palp in another--The Zigmeister, can these be retapped/and or threaded? I guess you'd have to try tapping a .9 for a 1.2 if it's even possible at all