When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Proper Lume Color for 111E

Jawo

I just picked up a 111E from both Davidsen and Angus. I must say that I am extremely impressed with the one from Angus. After all the rave and reviews, everyone seems to think this is the best version out right now. The only comments about the inaccuracies of this version is the lume color. What color should it be? C1? C3? Or a combination of both? I appreciate the input from you PAM experts. I am sending Angus' 111E to The Zigmeister for a relume and would appreciate the answer. Thanks!!!

I have researched this a lot and there is a lot of contreversy on what the proper lume color is. Some say that Panerai states that only C3 is used. I don't think this is correct since the 111E dial looks white like C1. Many people said that it is a mix of C1 and C3. Varying opinions on the ratio of mix. I have sent mine to The Zigmeister asking for 70% C3 and 30% C1. I don't know how accurate this is but I am hoping he will know.

Gents,

Anyone know if this would be the same for an 005 or if the 005 should be pure C1?. I've seen people like DSN actually starting to offer the 005 in only C1 and it confuses me as to what's the correct color for that watch.

Here's a picture of a gen which looks nearly pure white to me

5_1.jpg

Edited by ZainoDetail

Gents,

Anyone know if this would be the same for an 005 or if the 005 should be pure C1?. I've seen people like DSN actually starting to offer the 005 in only C1 and it confuses me as to what's the correct color for that watch.

Here's a picture of a gen which looks nearly pure white to me

5_1.jpg

Pictures are extremely deceiving and misleading when it comes to lume colour.

I can lume a dial in C3, and if it's a black dial, all the white balance adjustments etc in the world will never show it to look like C3, it will look C1 white.

I think this picture is misleading. Which is why the only real way to know the true colour, is to have someone who can look at a gen with their eyes let us know.

Other than the 183 Blackseal which is white lume, all the others are C3 (from my understanding).

RG

Well, I have looked at a number of gens and the more I look the more confused I get. :bangin: I would have sworn that at least through the F series it matched up well to C3 based on holding a rep and gen at the same time. As Ziggy mentioned, looking at pictures is very misleading. You literally need to take a C3 rep and hold it up against a same series Gen in the same light and see how it matches up.

As a comparison I was in the local AD the other day and unfortunatly they didn't have any painted dial Luminor models but I was paying close attention to lume color as The Zigmeister is about to get my 005 for service.

However they did have a 111 wich sandwhich dial which I tried to compare colors on. I was wearing my Gen. Omega Speedmaster (which should be pure C3 from my research) and the lume looked considerably whiter on the 111. I'm headed to a different AD later this week to see if they have any luminors with painted dials for comparison. Unfortunately I've yet to come across a gen 005 in person yet.

I realize this is an apples to oranges comparison...but it's something right?