When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 111H running fast

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

For the experts:

My DSN PAM 111H (modded) with swiss movement has started to run fast. In a 10 hour period it appears to have gained 18 minutes!

I will verify this by checking it again in 12 hours or so but quite sure this is the case. Any diagnosis and mor importantly...solutions? :lol:

I agree, happened to me. It's a one second fix. The hairspring is effectively now shorter causing the balance to spin way off. If you listen to the watch, it should sound like its ticking much weaker and faster, but the balance wheel is spinning very slow. Hairsprings are very tricky, if your not sure, take it to the shop and he can fix it in a minute for about 5 bucks. Thats what he charged me.

How do I do either?

Oh yeah.....mine was doing this for a good reason.....my nephew was playing hit uncle Tom with a plastic Bam Bam bat while he chased me around the backyard. Uncle Tom just blocked it once......with his watch. Gotta love kids. :p

Guest watchbuff

Took it to my favorite German watchsmith and he muttered BLAH BLAH BLAH, Spring Balance, BLAH BLAH BLAH, Magnetized BLAH BLAH BLAH, Should be fine, magnetic fields is the culprit.

Says its a great movement, little maintenance and, the lack of protective metal around the movement(solid caseback) probably while sitting on my clock radio near my halogen lamp over time caused this.

Time to fix 5min

Cost $0

Thanks all.

Guest watchbuff

Hmmm then what did that watchmaker do> ? He mentioned "spring balance" or something. He de magnetized it a 30 seconds later he had it all back together.

Go figure

Hmmm then what did that watchmaker do> ? He mentioned "spring balance" or something. He de magnetized it a 30 seconds later he had it all back together.

Go figure

Probably got the hairspring to unstick by manipulating it.

There is little that is magnetic on these movements, certainly the springs are non magnetic...

If the problem comes back, you sould get the balance immersed in "One Dip" as this will remove any trace of oil and ensure the spring does not do this again.

RG