When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just found the coolest pocket watch!

894tom

So I have this pocket watch from my grandpa..its a Zeinth made around 1920. Grandpa died when I was 7 so I was only as close as a 7 yr old can get to an old man who smells funny and gives you cool gifts at Christmas. He died when I was 7 and I got the watch then. Had it in storage all this time and just found it. It is mint....even the crystal is perfect. I opened it cause I am always curious. Mint. The brass movement shines like new and contrasts perfect with the beautiful winding gears (polished silver) Anyway. I am torn. The best I can tell, the watch ill pull in on the way top end is $500 on the Bay. Do I A. Sell the watch...B. put it back in storage....C. transplant the movment out and put it into a rep Pam case and wear it all the time? Heres what I am thinking...A - I wont strike it rich even if I selll this watch for top dollar., but I could buy some more cool Reps. B- I dont have kids and dont plan on it...but maybe one day I could give the pocket watch to my kid. C. I would love to sport Grandpops old pocket Zienth on my wrist in a PVD Pam case with exhibition back. What to do...what to do.....

I'd say first of all, research.

Take good macro pics and post in the correct Time Zone forum. You may have something unique.

As far as mods/transplant .... you say your grandad left it to you, so that's a piece of watchmaking history from a well respected brand that's been in your family for three generations and you are thinking of putting it on the 'bay for $500 ?

The fact that your father's father carried that closed to him literally and figuratively speaking, does not hold any value beyond what you could earn on minimum wage, part time, in a month??

Guess you'll never be a Patek owner...

:o

Edited to add: If you sell it, you'll never get it back. If that did not send shivers up your spine, talk to your dad if he's still around and look at his eyes as you share your 'plans' with him. The older one gets, the clearer it becomes that never, is a long time.

If you sell it, you'll never get it back.

Edited by NotASolder

I just realized that you did not list wearing it/using it as a watch in it's present state as an option.

Wind it, wear it, use it. Even if it's only around the house.

As far as going wristbound with it, please check, but I don't believe modern shock protection systems were widely in use 'till the late 30's so transplanting the movement may result in an unpleasant surprise .

Whew....I guess thats it. I was going to put the Zenith movement into a Pam case and wear it and, like suggested, keep the pocket watch case for a reinstall sometime in the future if need be. But a good point was brought out....(this is a great forum) the movement does not have shock protection. It stays as it is. Who is The Zigmeister...where is The Zigmeister...is he really that good?

P.S. I am fairly convinced it is not a hidden treasure so I was really not beating down Ebay's doors to sell it. Leaving it as is just sounded so boring because I would not want to carry it around and scratch up the mint case and crystal. It's just that I love watches and I could have had a watch that had a personal meaning to it, so that was what I was leaning towards until the excellent point was brought out to me.