When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A guy walks in wearing a Pam 180

hambone

We who collect rep Pams are fairly well versed in the ins and outs of this watch brand even though we are collecting replicas, the general knowledge base is quite impressive. A couple of days ago, a fellow came into my place of business and I observed him wearing a nice Panerai. I see quite an array of watches every day, and complimented the guy on his pam. He took it off, gave it to me, and it was heavy, let me tell you, "!8K white gold, edition of 150" he said It had a date on it so it was clearly a luminor automatic, but he did not know what number it was when I said that I had a 111 and a 127. (I stopped there), but found it quite something that a person with a 20 thousand dollar watch did not know what it was he had. There are many Pam models and I am able to identify most, but not all, so I had to look up what he had, and it was the Panerai model 180. Funny how people take some things in stride.

pam180g2ahb8.jpg

We who collect rep Pams are fairly well versed in the ins and outs of this watch brand even though we are collecting replicas, the general knowledge base is quite impressive. A couple of days ago, a fellow came into my place of business and I observed him wearing a nice Panerai. I see quite an array of watches every day, and complimented the guy on his pam. He took it off, gave it to me, and it was heavy, let me tell you, "!8K white gold, edition of 150" he said It had a date on it so it was clearly a luminor automatic, but he did not know what number it was when I said that I had a 111 and a 127. (I stopped there), but found it quite something that a person with a 20 thousand dollar watch did not know what it was he had. There are many Pam models and I am able to identify most, but not all, so I had to look up what he had, and it was the Panerai model 180. Funny how people take some things in stride.

pam180g2ahb8.jpg

That's life.

Some people simply "fork out" sums of mojo,for a nice stereo setee for the living room and put their $ 20000 loudspeakers behind big upholstery couches.

Some use their cars and park them outside the cafeteria just for the show.Some are buying watches and other jewellery because they want to adorn their

complex carrying personas to levels beyond reach.

And excuse me, that's not funny

I went on a 'guys weekend trip' to Las Vegas with some former work buddies of mine from a defunct startup, all software engineers. Some of them went to work for Google early and made serious bank. I, not being so lucky, had a hard time keeping up with them on this trip, but it was fun seeing how the other-half rolls. Plus I got to get into some ridiculously expensive clubs on their dime.

One of my friends was admiring my (rep) Serie Speciale and commented that he needed a watch since he didn't have one. I (jokingly) told him he wanted a Panerai Power Reserve. Cool, he says...let's go check them out. So we walked over to Caesar's Palace and into Tourneau, where he tried one on, liked how it looked, and slapped down the plastic. $7k later we are at dinner and he's passing the watch for all to see.

Anyway the point of the story is that I guarantee you that he A. didn't have a clue what he bought and B. wouldn't know a rep if it smacked him in the face. Ironically, his Pam stopped functioning after a year and he 'didn't have time to return it' and as far as I know it's still sitting in his sock drawer somewhere, which depresses me. Whereas my 7750 Navitimer is still going strong!

(PS: first post, nice forum :) )

Edited by czechsix