When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1016 a good investment

stilty

Just browsing around, looking on the 'bay. I came across this 1016 that is being offered. Item 290184004174

What caught my attention was the price tag still on the box. $750.00.

6196_3.JPG

So I googled an inflation calculator to check on the value of the dollar in 1967 vs today. (yeah, it is a slow day at the office! :brow: ) The buying power of $1 dollar in 1967 equalled the buying power of $6.03 today. So today, that watch would cost new $4522.50. Considering the 1016 is selling $6K+, there is some serious appreciation in the 1016 over the years.

Actually, if you think of what investment yield is over the years, it's not terribly great. Not trying to be a killjoy, just saying.

True enough, I guess investment wasn't the right word. Appreciation would be a better term! But if you did want to do the math. Even if you were to sell it on the low end at $6k. That would still be a $1500 profit on the inflated dollar value of $4500.

Or you could bring that $6K down to 1967 value.

6000 x .17 = $1020.00

$1020-$750=$270 profit

270/750 =0.36 that isn't too bad of a return.

yes, too much time to kill. :lol:

stilty, at $750 it would be an absolute steal but that was a bit of cash back then.

I usually see the 1016 offered for around $4.5K without boxes and papers. I'm not sure why this particular model is so coveted by collectors. A 100% original 5513 or 1680 would be a better snag for an equivalent price, investment wise.

It will be interesting to see what the final price on this one ends up being.

Cheers,

J