When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wristshots of my Pams ^^

JOEJOEJOE

I rarely post here, but I justed wanted to share my collection to date -

Other than 111E that I turned it into 1B (caseback), all have been modded by Master Vaccum ;)

Pics -

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

Looking at the genuine articles, I have realized that the crowns that come with standard reps are not that flawed (other than the angle it's beveled at), but it's the CG (the "square" gap is too wide). I chose not to install Palp crowns to fix the proportion, but plan on filing down the leg of the CGs to decrease this gap, which in turn makes the crowns look thicker.

What I call the "Ruby" CG (as shown above in 111E/1B and 176G) actually look decent in terms of the proportion. But they come with extremely FAT crowns that have less teeth & bridge between the case and the crown (which makes it look like it's almost stuck to the case). On these watches, I plan to install a regular rep crown, using shorter stem.

Comments welcome ;) Enjoy the pics!

J

Edited by JOEJOEJOE

JOEJOEJOEJOE, very nice collection. The 176 and 111 crowns both look like Palp crowns except perhaps minus the bevel (which to the naked eye isn't very prominent anyhow), and the CG gaps look quite good at least at the angle of incidence shown. Be careful when grinding them down... You'll have to maintain the proper curvature so that you don't introduce any unsightly gaps between the CG and the side of the case.

BTW, I'm confused what you mean by "Ruby CG" especially on the 111E, if it came from Angus. Please explain.

JOEJOEJOEJOE, very nice collection. The 176 and 111 crowns both look like Palp crowns except perhaps minus the bevel (which to the naked eye isn't very prominent anyhow), and the CG gaps look quite good at least at the angle of incidence shown. Be careful when grinding them down... You'll have to maintain the proper curvature so that you don't introduce any unsightly gaps between the CG and the side of the case.

BTW, I'm confused what you mean by "Ruby CG" especially on the 111E, if it came from Angus. Please explain.

Thanks ;) The reason I call it Ruby CG & Crown is because Ruby first started offering them on her 036.

Ruby first offered these Thick crown with very short bridge, which makes the overall length of the crown from the case to the CG shorter than standard crown (although the actual crown itself is thicker than the standard) and to allow this crown to fit, the factory had to come up with the CG with less square gap. 176 and 111's CG's proportionate size is quite accurate, but the crown is way too thick (it also lacks teeth and bridge that creates space between the case and the crown).

Thanks for the tip on grinding down the CG - I probably won't be doing it myself though... as I have absolute-zero hand-eye coordination :D

J

Just to clarify, where was the 176 sourced from? I've been holding out for one and told myself I was going to do a sandwich dial 176 but yours looks amazing.

Hi ZainoDetail,

176 was originally sourced from Ruby - I actually had her put it together after seeing her Pam 36 with thicker crown and CG with less gap. She told me that it was a lot of hassle because she actually had to order different parts from different factory and had a watchsmith put it together - but she did it for me. I am just not sure if she would do it again.

I also found that Joshua had this exact 176 listed on his site but the price was over 400 dollars... Also be careful - he has more than one variation of 176s listed on his sites.

J

Glad to see you here, Joe!

Congrats on your pieces, they are awesome.

And thanks for sharing your experencies about the crowns and CGs.

I managed to correct a few crowns that were sitting too flush with the case by just adding a small gasket.

Glad to see you here, Joe!

Congrats on your pieces, they are awesome.

And thanks for sharing your experencies about the crowns and CGs.

I managed to correct a few crowns that were sitting too flush with the case by just adding a small gasket.

Yeah, those Ruby/Trevor/Angus crowns are notoriuos in a sense they don't look anything like gen's first off. But when you "lift" the off the case by adding an extra gasket or new longer stem, and adding the inner bevel (managed to do it by hand actually and it looks quite good)...they transoorm into something really nice. Their main (and probably only) advantage is their width, they're just a bit shy of Palp/Pam crown width. Another "drawback is the number of teeth...to my count they miss 4 teeth compared to gen's.

@Joe - awesome collection brother !

babola

Edited by babola

Excellent collection. Love them all.

Have you tried swapping the CGs between the 176 and the 118? It seems to me that the width of the crowns may suit the alternative CG better.

Hi PAMman~

I actually did give it a try, but no luck (we think alike ;)). What I learned from this was that although 061's Crown is thinner, bridge + Crown width is thicker than 176's.

@ all -

Thank you all for the compliments~

My next project will be Pam 002D, using standard base (painted) dial, Angus' 111E case (with FLAT CG lever pin), and DSN's 010D caseback, which also corresponds to 002D.

J

Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone has tried taking out the CG Lever pin on the CG that looks like the one on 176 above and inserting it backwards? The pin is actually nice and flush to the case, from the back view, but not the other way around. I wonder if it can be fitted.

@ sssurfer - I think I may have asked you this a while back @ RWI - you told me you haven't had the chance to try it then. Have you tried this mod since?

J

Edited by JOEJOEJOE