When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch movement quality

newf

Hi, Folks,

I bought a Rolex DayDate Full Gold Gold Dial Stick Marker Swiss Eta 2836-2 from one of our reputable dealers - experience was great, btw.

Seeing as this is my first purchase the watch has been giving me trouble from day one - example - arrived with the second hand fallen off - had it repaired at a local jewelry store who sent it out somewhere for repair - came back and the hand was attached - another $40.00 but I was really delighted with the dealer and watch quality.

Next - the bracelet was too small for my 8-1/2" wrist so the dealer sent me extra links - free of charge. Great service.

They arrived Tuesday and I added them to the bracelet - a really smooth fix with the screw pins.

Then I set the time, day and date - making certain that the time was not between 10:00 PM and 2:00AM - pushed the stem back in and the time doesn't start - seems like the hack part didn't work - tried cycling the stem a few times and still no good.

So the next day I read one of the posts about removing the stem and replacing it - seems like an easy enough job. Have a cheapie Rolex Yacht-Master that a friend had given me and I practiced on it - went as smooth as anything.

Last evening I decided to tackle the DayDate - got it opened using an industrial rubberized glove as a case opener - found the stem release stud - using a straight pin, I pressed the release and the stem came out just like the YM.

Looked at the watch and could see the mechanism moving - happy times are here again.

Replaced the stem and the movement is still working - so began to put the case back on - the stem falls out - drats - probably didn't push it in far enough with me being so cautious. Re-inserted the stem - didn't hear any latching but the movement is working - give the stem a little tug and out it comes again - remember hearing that the release stud sometimes gets stuck I decide to give it a little poke to move it back and forth to make sure it is reset - horrors - a small hole and no stem release stud to be seen just an empty hole. Now there are dark clouds everywhere - no more singing happy days are here again.

So I insert the stem and screw the crown down so it doesn't drop out and get lost.

Next step is to return it to China for repairs / replacement.

But today I contacted another independent watchmaker who will look at the watch - apparently doesn't mind working on reps - hooray - happy day are here again.

I go to the store and they are blown away with the quality of the rep - even told me the case looked real enough to fool them until they had a good look. They even went as far as to test the gold in one of their testers until I told them it was plated.

Went in the back of the store with the watch repair guy and he was disappointed with the quality of the movement - said I would always have problems as it was a great case with a crap movement not worth fixing but he could supply a real Swiss ETA 2836-2 installed for $600.00.

Now if you've read this far - my question is this - are these Asian ETA movements actually crap that should be replaced with genuine ETA movements or are they as good as the quality of the case and bracelets?

Do you think this guy was being a little harsh or hitting the nail on the head?

So I've decided to send the watch back to the dealer who has been superb taking this first time rep buyer through the ropes - I can't thank him enough.

The dealer - PureTime (Angus) - a real gentleman who just happened to send a high end rep dud.

But all of this has been a great learning experience for me - how to work with dealers that you've recommended, how to decide which movements to buy and best of all a little hands on learning for simple watch fixes such as bracelet sizing, opening and closing watches, greasing the case seal, removing and installing stems and on the old crap YM how to remove the movement and reinstall it afterward.

Now for the bad part - and I can't emphasize this enough - this is addictive and should be placed right up there with crack.

If the wife's not looking - maybe I'll order a Sub tonight - really need a fix, man :p

Newf

Fun, isn't it. :)

With regard to the ETA, I've had many 2836-2s and they have been flawless from day one. The Zigmeister has serviced many and he has mentioned that they are authentic ETA movements. At times, the reps will have a dirty and poorly oiled ETA which may require service but this isn't the norm from my experience.

I believe you threw off the keyless works which would be a certainty if you used a sharp object to depress the stem locking mechanism. You must use a 1.2mm flat screw driver to do this and anything else, will result in problems.

As to your watchmaker, the $600 for a new movement and installation is an absolute rip-off. A brand new ETA 2836-2 can be sourced for about $100. I'm sure he can source them for less which leaves over $500 just for the installation. :crazy:

Best of luck!

Fun, isn't it. :)

With regard to the ETA, I've had many 2836-2s and they have been flawless from day one. The Zigmeister has serviced many and he has mentioned that they are authentic ETA movements. At times, the reps will have a dirty and poorly oiled ETA which may require service but this isn't the norm from my experience.

I believe you threw off the keyless works which would be a certainty if you used a sharp object to depress the stem locking mechanism. You must use a 1.2mm flat screw driver to do this and anything else, will result in problems.

As to your watchmaker, the $600 for a new movement and installation is an absolute rip-off. A brand new ETA 2836-2 can be sourced for about $100. I'm sure he can source them for less which leaves over $500 just for the installation. :crazy:

Best of luck!

Hi, Jetsons,

Thanks very much - wasn't too sure about thr gen ETA cost but the $200.00 installation cost seemed high so I just thanked him and walked away.

Next step may be to have tghe dealer acquire a gen ETA and install it as new whenever I buy my next rep. Sure wished they offered them as an option.

Newf

It sounds like you have dislodged the keyless works on the movement, and that is not a hard fix for a watch smith, $600 to install a ETA, ripp off, the movement proberbly need a service and clean any way, a lot of what we get are surpluss movement and there is no telling how long they have sat around, try to find another watch smith who is honest for a start or wait untill ziggy is back at work and see if you can send it to him for the service.