When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chopard double layered crystal

jmt

So, I sent my Chopard Mille Miglia GMT to K22222 for AR. When he took off the crystal, he discovered that it was actually a 2 layered type, with saphire on the outside and mineral crystal on the inside, with the cyclops imbedded in the mineral crystal. Wierd. So, learned something new... and got NO AR on my watch (can't blame Jakub though, of course :D ) But, that leaves me wondering... anyone know where I can get a correct single layered saphire crystal with the right cyclops for this watch-- same as the gen?

But, that leaves me wondering... anyone know where I can get a correct single layered saphire crystal with the right cyclops for this watch-- same as the gen?

Not sure you want one. The repmakers came up w/ the Cyclops Sandwiches to improve the mag and cyclops alignment. Both the thicker cyclops (no hands-clearance issues as with a standard interior mounted cyclops) and the increased distance between cyclops and dial dramatically increase the mag. And of course, dropping a cyclops in a slot solves any alihnment issues inherent in gluing to the underside of the crystal.

To duplicate the mag w/ the standard configuration, you'd almost certainly have to source a high quality sapphire cyclops (sapphire has better mag per any given thickness & curvature than glass) which even then might not magnify enough unless the rehuat on the rep is as thick as gen.

Why not AR both crystals and then reassemble? I just had a glass crystal ARed by chieftang along with a bunch of sapphire crystals and the coating on glass looks identical to my sapphire Overseas crystal. The only extra work, which would take about 2 minutes w/ a felt dremel tim and red polish, would be removing the AR from the top of the glass and bottom of the saphhire. Certainly the extra 40 bucks is worth it to have AR and good mag. A cyclops would cost you about that anyway.

• 4 months later...

"Why not AR both crystals and then reassemble? I just had a glass crystal ARed by chieftang along with a bunch of sapphire crystals and the coating on glass looks identical to my sapphire Overseas crystal. The only extra work, which would take about 2 minutes w/ a felt dremel tim and red polish, would be removing the AR from the top of the glass and bottom of the saphhire. Certainly the extra 40 bucks is worth it to have AR and good mag. A cyclops would cost you about that anyw

sandwich crystal need to be separete, then glue again, how you like to make that???