When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double AR then Cyclops?

lysis

Hi,

I'm trying to find ways to minimize reflections with some of the aftermarket cyclopes available for the Panerai reps (Chieftangs, Lello's, et al).

I remember reading Silver Surfer's experience with coating the inner side of a cyclopsed crystal that did improve the readability of his cyclops. However, has anyone tried to double AR coat a sapphire crystal and then apply the cyclops? Are there still reflections?

Hi,

I'm trying to find ways to minimize reflections with some of the aftermarket cyclopes available for the Panerai reps (Chieftangs, Lello's, et al).

I remember reading Silver Surfer's experience with coating the inner side of a cyclopsed crystal that did improve the readability of his cyclops. However, has anyone tried to double AR coat a sapphire crystal and then apply the cyclops? Are there still reflections?

Lello is going to attempt just this. He sent two crystals with cyclopes removed in my last AR run for double AR and is going to try reapplying the cyclopes.

i'm doing AR on crystal with cyclops, but some of the crystals are made of 2 pieces, glued to each other, i'm not touching those, but regular cyclops pressed to crystal ca do without any problems ;)

We are definitely using quite different AR processes. The extreme high temps required for long term durability of any coating will melt cyclops glue during the coating process and ruin the crystal, therefore in the past when I have done crystals with cyclopes, I have done a single sided non-durable coating only on the interior surface. This can be done without removing the cyclops and can be done to the two piece sandwich crystals also. But in this case, Lello has removed his cyclops for the durable double sided run and is going to reattach it to the coated crystal after the fact. This is something nobody has ever tried, so it will be interesting.

I have been looking for a cyclops solution. The Zigmeister told me that putting a cyclops back onto a double sided crystal is not a good idea - so I am hoping to get a single sided application done. Problem is, we can not seem to generate enough interested to warrant a run.

Chieftang - anyone else reach out to you besides me?

I have been looking for a cyclops solution. The Zigmeister told me that putting a cyclops back onto a double sided crystal is not a good idea - so I am hoping to get a single sided application done. Problem is, we can not seem to generate enough interested to warrant a run.

Chieftang - anyone else reach out to you besides me?

No takers. And I agree 100% with The Zigmeister. Even though reattaching the cyclops is technically possible.... I don't think it's a good idea either - for several reasons.