When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Pam parts on the Bay

TXTurbo930

I've spotted some Gen 111i parts on fleabay....I know they are gen and some of you may recognize the seller... This got me to thinking or wondering actually...Gen pam parts are hard to come by, are any of you out there using parts such as gen CG or Crowns or dials on your modded Pams. Will Gen parts fit in our 44mm cases? Kinda of expensive route to go... I know on other brands we do a lot of bezel swaps and gen bands and such, but don't see alot of this being done to pams, just curios what other thought if any one had done any mods like this.

Box <---links

Dial

Hands

Movement

Edited by TXTurbo930

You reckon rep manufacturers should buy that CG...and finaly produce a decent H-series rep CG....LOL!

Anyway, looking at some details there, it's funny how the finish on many of them somehow doesn't stack up to that "Gen PAM finish is waaay better than rep"...hmm, makes you wonder, doesn't it.

That mov't is a real beauty, I must say.

I know the guy who posted this on the Bay (actually many here know and remember him very well)...the whole thing is just part of an experiment to see how much more (or less :)) $$ could PAM bring to it's owner if sold in parts compared when sold as a fully assembled watch :)

Let's see how it goes from here :-)

cheers,

babola

Overpriced yeah, but I dunno where the figure for a $40 oem gen crown guard came from. Over on TZ a member said Panerai serviced his watch and put a new crown guard on for $900. If you figure $500 at most for the service, that's $400 for the crown guard. Sad part about this auction is that someone is probably gonna drop that movement into a rep case and resell it on the bay for $4k.

Overpriced yeah, but I dunno where the figure for a $40 oem gen crown guard came from. Over on TZ a member said Panerai serviced his watch and put a new crown guard on for $900. If you figure $500 at most for the service, that's $400 for the crown guard. Sad part about this auction is that someone is probably gonna drop that movement into a rep case and resell it on the bay for $4k.

If that's true (I've heard twice from different gen oowners that a CG replacement from OP is $180) it may make sense for gen owners, but rep collectors ought to just chuckle and about our merry ways, IMO. You can get a used 111H, if you look around for a while, for around 3 grand. So, which one of those parts part are you going to buy to make your "ultimate" 111H as good as a gen for significantly less dough? The CG? OK, you've now spent over a grand and and your watch is still instantly ID'd as a rep by the dial and crown and movement. Guess you have to do Dial and CG + palp crown + lumed hands + strap, minimum, right? Now you're all in for 5 or 6 bills less than a slightly dinged gen including parts and labor...and you're only on-the-wrist 1:1. Or close to it, since if you run into a collector he's going to be so stoked about meeting a fellow Paneristi that there's a 50/50 chance he's to ask to check your watch out and offer his for you to try on. The minute he turns it over, you're busted. IMO, you're going to fool 99.99% of the people who see your watch w/ a stock 11h. and maybe another .000001% after you spend $2300.

I wish flav well in his experiment, and I hereby make a standing offer of $250 for the CG, only becuase they've never decently repped a "historic" guard, and never will.