When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

fascination with "lume"

kenmasters

I think that some people really enjoy the magnificence and presence of strong glow on their watches. Recognize that this is still a non-mechanical substance in keeping with horological tradition. Most of today's low-end quartz watches have a battery-powered lamp, but lume still works "by itself". This is where its "spirit" lies.

Just look at the new IWC chronographs Cousteaux Diver, in the pictures it looks fascinating (after professional re-application). There is something almost magical about it glowing like that... at least from what I've seen in various wrist-shots.

I like Lume, but I'm not so fanatical that I would send it through the post just for someone to open it up and re-apply it. But many people do, and the results are almost always superb.

I personally think it's because the reps have gotten so good lately. Have you seen the new Swan/Dagger E and H movements.. the better, thicker crowns on the PAM's? The SSD, the Steelfish, the Big Bang and the new Chopards? What else is there to nitpick about? We are extremists here and we must have something be wrong with the reps.. Don't think I'm throwing stones here, I'm exactly as I'm describing here. It's kind of like an obsessive compulsive disorder, filing crown guards until the sun rises and such. I just sent a payment for a really nice PAM, and I already have things I want to do to it. I had a gen Steelfish and one of the things that really bugged me was there was nothing to do to it to make it "perfect".

It's not just a hobby.. It's a disorder.