When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HBB Lite Polished PVD?

spookycord

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not possible, for two reasons:

1. 1. PVD is very hard (almost as hard as sapphire).
    2. PVD is very thin, on the order of 2-4 microns.

So, if you used something that was able to abrade the finish, it would certainly wear through the PVD before it smoothed out the brushed texture.

To get the effect that you want, you should polish the stainless before the PVD is applied.

@avitt: re:PVD: Even if it will look like ceramic, it will not feel like ceramic to the touch. Metal and ceramics have different heat conductivity, hence different 'feel'. BTW: there is a GEN HBB that is PVD (case and bezel): the cappuccino chocolate. Limited edition, with dark brown PVD.

@spookycord: If you start polishing a brushed SS bezel that has been PVD'd, then at best you will end with a polished SS.

@avitt: re:PVD: Even if it will look like ceramic, it will not feel like ceramic to the touch. Metal and ceramics have different heat conductivity, hence different 'feel'.

I did only say that it would look like ceramic...But for practical purposes, nobody would be able to tell the difference. I'm sure that you would have to take the bezel off, and tap it on something to know what it was made of. (Remember that you're not touching the metal, but rather the diamond-like carbon coating on top of the metal...they feel different.)

Also, I'm not talking about PVD, but rather a coating that goes on with much more density and evenness. Here's an example of a cheap bacelet link that has been ADLC coated:

img2170mf7.jpg