When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Variations of SMP bracelets

Fireman_Fred

I have just received a 007 Special Edition (ETA 2824-2) from Paul to add to my "collection" of James Bond SMPs. Paul has not had it in stock for a while so when I saw he was advertising it for $189 I ordered one to add to the other skeleton hand, blue dial SMPs I already own (SMP, SMP Chrono and SMP 007 2006 SE). Although the watch case, dial etc is great, the s/s bracelet is not what I'd expect on an ETA version. It is flat, thick with "sharp" edges.

Of the SMPs I own, there is a wide variation in the bracelets and none is the same and this one is the worst! I know I paid less than Josh and Andrew charge for the same watch but I was under the impression that the majority of the watches offered by the "reputable collectors", came from the same factory. Has anybody noticed that the current crop of SMPs are are being sent out on crap bracelets?. The best bracelet I have received to date is the one that came with the SMP Chrono but that was some 6 months ago.

Lol. The decline of the SMP.

We lost the HE valve

We lost the Pins.

Now we have lost the whole bracelet ;)

:cc_confused: :cc_confused: :(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::blowup:

I too have seen differences in the cases and bezel. Some have a very sharp lip on the bezel where the insert goes, and the case is totally different, especially when your installing a gen crown and tube and HE valve. What may have worked perfect on previous models, is not applicable due to these differences.

As you have discovered, identical looking watches, from different dealers, can and do have huge variances in the build quality, and the fit and finish.

RG

I think what you've got there is a rep of a rep of a rep. The fact that the watch went 'out-of-stock' and then reutrned kind of suggests a new manufacturer.

The decline in quality of the SMP is a much discussed topic here in RWG.

Kind of funny to think that my first proper rep was an 'old factory' standard (ie. not 007) 2824 SMP from Paul, bought 4 years ago for the discounted sum of $175!!

Still have it, and it still kicks the ass of any SMP you'll buy today (with the exception perhaps of the cheapo Asian GMT without the He valve).

I have 5 SMP blue dials, 2537.80, 2531.80, 2599.80, 2535.80, 2226.80

(007 Bond, SMP, Chrono, GMT, Bond spiral)

DSC00742.jpg

and they all have different cases and bracelets! I've swapped some parts around, but they all have different variations in bezel, crown guard, crown and tube, lug holes placement, and of course bracelet vary GREATLY. Some pins, some screws, some polished outside, some rounded edged some sharp, some multi part links some faux. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. Should just sell off all the smps and get a gen.

(BTW, looks like you need a GMT. Mine will be up for sale/trade soon pm if interested.)

I have 5 SMP blue dials, 2537.80, 2531.80, 2599.80, 2535.80, 2226.80

(007 Bond, SMP, Chrono, GMT, Bond spiral)

and they all have different cases and bracelets!

GMT, chrono and standard should have different cases. Chrono case will be significantly thicker and bracelet end-links will be chunkier to match. Also, He valve on chrono should align with the 10 marker.

GMT and standard bracelets should be identical, but GMT caseback should be deeper with display back, and crown guards shaped differently.

The real down-turn in quality of this rep co-incided with the change from pins to screws in the bracelet. My circa 2004 model clasp spring started to lose strength, but I replaced it with a genuine Omega one which fitted perfectly. I doubt you'd be able to do something similar with today's model.