When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Bezel has me perplexed

bruce79

This afternoon, I thought I'd give my new crystal press a try and decided to use my UPO as the guinea pig. Removing the bezel was quite difficult although this was to be expected as removing the bezel has never been a walk in the park for me. Broke one of my jewelers screw drivers in the process but I needed a new set anyways.

So after removing it, I tried to use the press to install it and am having difficulty. I'd always used the cap to a vitamin bottle and the palm of my hand for my sub bezels and that was quite a frustrating process. I thought the crystal press would make it easier but that does not seem to be the case as I can't get the darn thing back on. The trouble seems to be getting the bezel to sit evenly on the case so that the press can get an even contact with the bezel.

But here is the thing that really perplexes me. There is a bent wire on the inside of the bezel which seems to be some sort of tension mechanism to keep the bezel nice and tight. Having had a similar bent wire in an old cn sub of mine give me trouble then, I suspect it is now giving me trouble with the UPO too. So I pulled the bent wire out just to see if it made a difference in getting the bezel on and the bezel and it now sits flush with the case but there is nothing holding it on and it comes off freely. So it looks like the bent wire is absolutely necessary and keeps the bezel on.

But if I can recall correctly, I just removed the bent wire from the bezel on my old cn sub and the bezel was a bit loose but was fine and stayed on the case. Though it was so long ago I can't remember. Perhaps I just removed the insert so that I could reach in through the top of the bezel and help to seat the bent wire.

At any rate, is this normal? Is the bent wire holding the bezel to the case? Do I have to remove the insert and help the bent ring sit properly because it seems that it's getting caught between the bezel and the case and preventing the bezel from snapping on. Can anyone make sense of what I just wrote? :o What do I need to do to get the bezel back on??? Thanks in advance.

I removed the bezel in preparation of removing the crystal for your ar run... ;) I figured I could save it the 12000 miles of flight to Rob if I could remove the crystal myself and just send it up the coast to you. ^_^

I see the groove that the bent wire thing sits in but how tucked in there does it need to be? It's obviously bent several times and those angles cause it to sit out a bit in certain areas...won't these catch the case as I try and seat the bezel...is there a trick to this?

I removed the bezel in preparation of removing the crystal for your ar run... ;) I figured I could save it the 12000 miles of flight to Rob if I could remove the crystal myself and just send it up the coast to you. ^_^

I see the groove that the bent wire thing sits in but how tucked in there does it need to be? It's obviously bent several times and those angles cause it to sit out a bit in certain areas...won't these catch the case as I try and seat the bezel...is there a trick to this?

Well, it's too late now, but you shouldn't need to remove the bezel on most watches, including (I think) the UPO. Breitlings are an exception because parts of their bezel overhang the crystal, so it needs to be out of the way first.

I haven't looked at a bezel with the wire in a while, but I don't remember having an issue before. I'll take a look at one of mine to refresh my memory and get back to you if you still need help.

I'll second what chief said, no reason to have the bezel off to pop the crystal out.

But, since it's now removed, there could be a number of issues causing your problems.

1. Some of these bezels get bent when you pop them off - check that it's flat

2. The force of removal can damage the notch in the bezel or the case where the spring sits, check it throughly to make sure it's not damaged, any damage dress it out.

3. Test fit the bezel on the case, make sure it's sitting flush all around with the case

4. After all of this, insert the spring in the bezel, then were the two ends of the bezel spring meet, insert this end over the case first angling this end down and pressing it down, then work your way around pressing on each side and it should pop into place.

5. With the bezel removed, it's worth removing the insert as this can allow you to push the spring past the case and make installation easier.

Not sure how clear this is, but this is how I do it, on some you can use the crystal press and they pop right in place, on others you have to work them on slowly.

RG

Thanks for the input guys. I managed to get it on last night before going to bed though I don't think it's seated correctly because now the bezel is very difficult to turn. Suppose I'll need to pop it off again and give it another go. It seems to me that the retaining ring (bent wire) got a little tweaked in the process of trying to get the bezel back on and it's just a matter of getting it to sit correctly in the bezel groove.

I'll try what Rob said but let me ask, the two ends of the retaining ring don't touch, is that a problem? Are they suppose to be touching? They are about 1cm short of touching. Perhaps I'll post pics, pictures are always make everything better.

I don't think the ends of the spring should touch. Take The Zigmeister's advice step by step. Most importantly, set the bezel on a flat surface and make sure that it is still flat. If bent, you'll need to straighten it out...

Thanks Chief, I'm heading down to my local jewelry supply store to get a proper case back opener now so I to knick up the case using a screwdriver to pry the bezel off. The bezel was ever so slightly bent but I straightened it out so that it's no more than .5 mm off if anything.

You might want to search for a photographic guide on removal of the PO bezel that Pugwash did a while back. The whole procedure was very simple for me after following his instructions.

Thank you for the lead...I searched and searched yesterday...all of the boards and came up short...I'll search his posts.

Thanks...I just found it and was about to do the same. :lol: It if I understand his last instruction correctly, one just start with one end of the retaining ring and slowly press around the bezel. The open gap where the two ends meet should be the last part to go down.

Ok, bit of an UPDATE:

I just decided to leave the bezel on the watch...it turns a bit tight but at least it's on there. It never really turned very freely in the first place so I can live with it...don't really turn it that much anyhow. Plus I don't want to run the risk of bending the bezel.

So I went forward with my initial intentions which was to remove the crystal. I pulled the stem out to the time setting position, push the stem release button just enough to remove the stem and pulled the stem out. Then I managed to get the movement holder screws out though the heads of them were quite small even for my 1mm screwdriver. I actually had to file down the screwdriver head so it would fit.

Once the movement was removed I placed the case up upside down on top of a hollow 36mm die and pushed the crystal out with a 20mm die, no problem. :D So before I can rest a bit easier, I'd like to press the crystal back into the case just to know I can do it before sending it out to Chief. You guys said that I shouldn't need to remove the bezel to pop the crystal out but what about putting it back into the case? Do I have to push it though the bezel insert a bit to get it going or should I just center it as much as I can and push? The outer sides of the crystal are scraping the inner sides of the bezel insert, not bad but noticeably so. I just don't want to crack the crystal as that would be catastrophic at this point and would send me into a deep depression...jk. :D But it would be a bummer. What do you think?

Ok, bit of an UPDATE:

I just decided to leave the bezel on the watch...it turns a bit tight but at least it's on there. It never really turned very freely in the first place so I can live with it...don't really turn it that much anyhow. Plus I don't want to run the risk of bending the bezel.

So I went forward with my initial intentions which was to remove the crystal. I pulled the stem out to the time setting position, push the stem release button just enough to remove the stem and pulled the stem out. Then I managed to get the movement holder screws out though the heads of them were quite small even for my 1mm screwdriver. I actually had to file down the screwdriver head so it would fit.

Once the movement was removed I placed the case up upside down on top of a hollow 36mm die and pushed the crystal out with a 20mm die, no problem. :D So before I can rest a bit easier, I'd like to press the crystal back into the case just to know I can do it before sending it out to Chief. You guys said that I shouldn't need to remove the bezel to pop the crystal out but what about putting it back into the case? Do I have to push it though the bezel insert a bit to get it going or should I just center it as much as I can and push? The outer sides of the crystal are scraping the inner sides of the bezel insert, not bad but noticeably so. I just don't want to crack the crystal as that would be catastrophic at this point and would send me into a deep depression...jk. :D But it would be a bummer. What do you think?

At no time should you need to remove the bezel. I just found an old The Zigmeister tutorial that should ease you through the process. He walks you through removal and installation step by step. Become an RWG Supporter to access it: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?autoco...ticle&id=77

At no time should you need to remove the bezel. I just found an old The Zigmeister tutorial that should ease you through the process. He walks you through removal and installation step by step. Become an RWG Supporter to access it: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?autoco...ticle&id=77

For some reason, the above link to The Zigmeister's post is not working.

For some reason, the above link to The Zigmeister's post is not working.

It looks like The Zigmeister's "How-To Series" is gone. :o Maybe it was moved? Still looking...

EDIT: I can't find those articles. The How-To section of The Zigmeister's rwiki is empty. There were many articles there 2 days ago when I posted the link.

It looks like The Zigmeister's "How-To Series" is gone. :o Maybe it was moved? Still looking...

EDIT: I can't find those articles. The How-To section of The Zigmeister's rwiki is empty. There were many articles there 2 days ago when I posted the link.

No worries, perhaps if anyone could offer any advice, that'd be great. I just want to know if I need to manually help the crystal through the opening of the bezel insert before pressing it down? Once I start pressing with the crystal press, will the crystal just straighten out from the die and seat? I wish I had a beater to practice on but I've only got a few reps and they're all pretty nice so I just don't want to be one of those "tools" who f*cks up his watch. But what will be, will be, right? :rolleyes: