When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got retro GMT II

Bark3rd

Just got the PC "Retro" GMT II, and was looking for some feedback on a few concerns. The overall appearance is good but the bezel has a very sloppy ratcheting action, and the bracelet is very light gauge and "tinny" feeling. This thing is nowhere near the solid quality of the UPO I got from Josh and I will be called out for sure if I wear it as is. I would appreciate some advice in how to fix the bezel action and maybe some links to leatherr or rubber bands suitable for this watch. Thanks!

Edited by Bark3rd

I think you need to pop off the bezel and make a few more bends in the spring wire that provides the tension between the bezel and the rest of the case. There is also a small ratchet that you can pop out and file down to more of an angle......more pointy.... so the clicks are more defined. This should tighten everything up. This works on the Subs I have bought. If this is the NOOB GMT I would get the OK from someone who has worked on these before first. I have heard that its almost impoosible to take the bezel off a NOOB Sub...maybe the same issue with the GMT? I dont know.

I took the watch to a Chinese guy who has a watch repair stand in the mall and he fixed me up! He took apart the bezel assembly and put in a longer spring, he said the one that came with it was too short. It is 100% better now! With the band also adjusted to fit I love the watch now. I had a good time talking with the repair guy, he figired out it was a rep but he admitted is wasnt until he took it apart. He appreciated the quality and knew a few things about reps, it was fun talking to him about as I explained all the research that preceded the purchase. He asked for the source, I waffled on this and just gave him my email address. What are your thoughts on the proper etiquette for this type of query? My natural inclination is to politely avoid divulging my sources. I dont want everyone in Dallas becoming a rep expert.

Edited by Bark3rd

I just got my retro from Josh also. My watch has the same problem. The bezel seems to fit but it is really loose. If you come up with a solution other than this thread let me know.

After observing the watchsmith monkey with the bezel, its not something I would want to mess with-pay a pro a few bucks to take it apart and adjust the spring tension.

Here is a great thread on how to deal with the "jingly" rep bracelets. :

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...2&hl=GMT+II

Edited by Bark3rd