When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

canon pin mod

wiseguy15

hello.

im planning on purchasing a pam soon but i notice alot of people saying a canon pin mod is needed for it to look more gen. is this mod needed for all pams? i've only noticed the mod mentioned for the 127, 111 and 112. i've looked on most of the threads regarding this issue, but im still not sure what a canon pin is. i cant tell the difference between a pam that has the mod and one that dosent. can someone post some photos of watches that have and dont have the mod?

also, is the mod mainly for cosmetic purposes or does it improve the watch in other ways?

thanks all.

This is a cosmetic mod. The canon pin is the pin that the hour/minute hands are mounted on. Unmodified movements have shorter pins, so that the top of the pin doesn't sit flush with the top of the minute hand. Genuine Panerais have a taller canon pin installed so that the top of the pin sits flush with the top of the hands. The gens are also flattened and polished, while an unmodded tall canon pin has a bit of a dome or nipple on it and you can see the machining marks. To be 100% modded this would need to be flattened and polished, as well.

I've attached a the same pic as in my avatar, look at the where the hands attach to the pin at center of the dial, that's the cannon pin. See how the top of the pin is flush with the top of the minute hand?

post-3228-1201133429_thumb.jpg

Edited by peepshow