When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Movement Swap Feasibility

HauteHippie

So I acquired a UPO with broken movement on the cheap... a very good deal. My first though was to repair it (err have it repaired), though it's not a 2824-2 - so I guess it's the SW200 which should be the same form factor but part availability could be questionable (?).

My second thought, and what I want some thoughts on, is to swap in a 2892A2 - I'd still be coming out ahead in price anyhow and would end up with the base for the Omega coaxial movement at the same time! Now this is a rep with a milled metal movement holder/spacer. Both the 2824 and 2892 are 11.5L. But in looking at the manufacturing info documents, they differ in thickness: 4.6 mm for the 2824 vs. 3.6mm for the 2892. And the stem hole location distance from the mainplate differs: 1.8 mm on center for the 2824 vs. 1.5mm on center for the 2892. The casing clamp screw holes for both are roughly even with the center line of the stem hole (exact for the 2824 and off by 0.03 for the 2892). So, since the movement is attached to the spacer at the case clamp holes, it would seem that either movement would be aligned for the stem using this spacer - assuming 0.03mm is negligible. The dial appears to be fixed to the spacer on the other side, so it too should still sit at the right height in the case with the 2892 as well. However the 2892 canon pinion, hour wheel and fourth wheel are likely to be too short as there will now be an additional 0.3mm or so void between the bottom of the dial and the 2892 movement. But, if my theory is correct here, then if those are replaced with longer parts, all should fit well and work just dandy....

Thoughts from the pros?

Reference Material:

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopModules/Vi...&DocType=DT

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopModules/Vi...&DocType=DT

Ok,

From my experience. I have done a few swaps for customers and for myself and from what i remember, as long as the movement within the watch is the 2824 movement, installing a 2892 is no problem. I had no issues with hands or the alignment.

You have the green light.

Edited by Marrickvilleboy