When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Copper or real 18K Gold plating on rep

magagne

There's somebody here who can do the point on this.

I'm curious about all RG or YG plating watch that are sold by rep dealer. How can we be sure it's not copper. Cuz I bought a seiko watch to my girlfriend, and it was COPPER plating (and it really look like a RG plating) ... so I'm curious about our dealer who pretend to use 18k GOLD...for a not more difference of $10 between a SS and the gold version, when the gen has a lot more difference between the SS and a gold version <_<

Hi Magagne,

Wich of the dealers uses 18K ?

There r all 14K 3ple plated..

hxxp://www.pc-80108.com/omsp01024-anni-broad-arrow-markers-mchronos-p-4083.html

and

hxxp://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_191&products_id=2094

It is actual 18K gold.... but there's is not too much of it there. Just about enough to last 6-8 months, and then it's gonna start peeling like a banana!

Corg, did you experiment this? I hear that you not recommend all rep watch with gold finish. The gold speedy is very nice. -_-

Well... It can also be gold coloured PVD. It looks really close to gold plating and can last much longer than stated above.

A few examples: RG St Exupery and HBB Rose Gold bezel. Both hold out really well. I would not hesitate buying modern gold plated watch (in PVD). TTK talked about this on Panerai Ferrari too.

hxxp://www.pc-80108.com/omsp01024-anni-broad-arrow-markers-mchronos-p-4083.html

and

hxxp://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_191&products_id=2094

I have good experiances with (trusty) so if he says that is 18K it will be 18K.

Edited by Edwin25

Corg, did you experiment this? I hear that you not recommend all rep watch with gold finish. The gold speedy is very nice. -_-

Hey! I never said they did not look nice. In fact, I have a full gold Rolex Day-Date that looks magnificent and like a piece of art! However, all of the dealers as-listed "18K plated 5mils" WILL start rubbing off sooner or later. I did found, however, the "14K wrap" to be much more resilient.

...for a not more difference of $10 between a SS and the gold version, when the gen has a lot more difference between the SS and a gold version <_<

$10 is indeed a small difference. However, looking at the gold plated gens, the difference in price has nothing to do with the cost of gold used, but everything to do with prestige and marketing. Gold used in gens is probably the most expensive gold you can find on this planet B)

$10 is indeed a small difference. However, looking at the gold plated gens, the difference in price has nothing to do with the cost of gold used, but everything to do with prestige and marketing. Gold used in gens is probably the most expensive gold you can find on this planet B)

sorry jens,

18K gold is 18k gold.. there s no sheap or expensive gold. ( exept the gold that end up in a gen rollie) :D

For a long time I wanted to buy something in gold but in the very last moment I always went for something else.

Now after some reviews I finally pulled the trigger on a RG HBB.

We will see how it's gonna stand the test of time.

Well... It can also be gold coloured PVD. It looks really close to gold plating and can last much longer than stated above.

A few examples: RG St Exupery and HBB Rose Gold bezel. Both hold out really well. I would not hesitate buying modern gold plated watch (in PVD). TTK talked about this on Panerai Ferrari too.

I have the St Exupery and the Ferrari and they look good. I have a 14k rose gold wedding band and an 18k rose gold family crest ring and both watches are spot on matches to my rings. Also, I have banged the St Exupery against a chromed car door handle quite hard and the PVD withstood that. Whether actual rose gold plated or PVD I believe the human eye can not distinguish the difference. I will post some photos tonight of my rings and watches for comparison.

Hey! I never said they did not look nice. In fact, I have a full gold Rolex Day-Date that looks magnificent and like a piece of art! However, all of the dealers as-listed "18K plated 5mils" WILL start rubbing off sooner or later. I did found, however, the "14K wrap" to be much more resilient.

I never say/write that you find they don't look nice too :p

I understand that you not recommend them, cuz they peel off like a banana. That was my "interpretation".

Agrrr... so what to do now, it's like the famous 7750 sec@6 saga...buy or not buy...there will be a lot gold version that will come, they are more and more popular...the gold PO that will surely come , gold speedy, HB, etc.

Well, how often would you wear your gold watch?

If you wore it every day as your daily beater then I coud see the gold plate coming off.

Myself, I have a gorgeous MBW TT Sub, over 2 years old that I wear when I go out sometimes, fancier occasion, and the gold looks like new.

here is good article on gold plating: link

gen watches have up to 20um layer of gold - this provides excellent durabilty and lasts more than a life of the watch itself. . I wonder how thick the layer of gold is on reps? Any dealers know this answer?

dealer mention 5mils.

5 mils that is 5um ?

Ok, I find there are some important points to make for anyone who wants to buy an as-advertised "18-karat plated" watch.

-The peeling happens on the bracelet and the deployant, NOT the watch itself. That said, the gold on your HBB RG will last a very long time since it comes on a strap. The deployant may start to fade if it is rubbing on your skin.

-When you do eventually buy your gold-plated watch on gold-plated bracelet, do NOT wear it during activities where you sweat a lot. It's best for cooler temperatures. Also be advised, prolonged wear may end up turning your wrist green.

Here is my rose gold color Ferrari and my 18k rose gold and white gold family ring (the one on the lower right. The one on the lower left is yellow and white gold. The color match is spot on. I still do not know what the Ferrari is plated with ... Gold OR Copper? Anybody know?

blingringferrari.jpg

Here is my rose gold color Ferrari and my 18k rose gold and white gold family ring (the one on the lower right. The one on the lower left is yellow and white gold. The color match is spot on. I still do not know what the Ferrari is plated with ... Gold OR Copper? Anybody know?

blingringferrari.jpg

Neither, this Ferrari edition is a PVD coting, its a new way of coting, far better than electro-plating. I think Tag heuer and some other brands do PVD Coting, its something to do with vacuum titanium etc, and a little thing bit of gold. It's basically as far as i understand (read tons about it, but can't recall at the moment) it is sort of a "paint" if I may illustrate it like that. The nice thing is it won't fade or wear out, it has a very high tolerance to wear-tear, that basically what u need to know (no need to know how electricity work, to switch "on" the TV or to know what its useful for)

Go google or wikipedia and find PVD coting to know more. The PVD is more expensive than Electroplating but obviously cheaper than 18k solid gold, but you got to get the right shade and that's what they did with the Rose Gold Ferrari, coz electroplating tend to get a wrong color. Nice watch btw.

Kind regards

Neither, this Ferrari edition is a PVD coting, its a new way of coting, far better than electro-plating. I think Tag heuer and some other brands do PVD Coting, its something to do with vacuum titanium etc, and a little thing bit of gold. It's basically as far as i understand (read tons about it, but can't recall at the moment) it is sort of a "paint" if I may illustrate it like that. The nice thing is it won't fade or wear out, it has a very high tolerance to wear-tear, that basically what u need to know (no need to know how electricity work, to switch "on" the TV or to know what its useful for)

Go google or wikipedia and find PVD coting to know more. The PVD is more expensive than Electroplating but obviously cheaper than 18k solid gold, but you got to get the right shade and that's what they did with the Rose Gold Ferrari, coz electroplating tend to get a wrong color. Nice watch btw.

Kind regards

PVD is golding with titanium nitride...no actual gold.

Copper plating will tarnish to green in short order. If your watch doesn't look like the copper water pipes in your house after a few days...it's probably plated with gold.

I've said this many time in reference to gold plating on reps...they put just enough gold on them so they will look gold long enough to put enough time between the sale and the plating failure to give the buyer no recourse. Even the best domestic plating services state 5-7 micron plating is special and very heavy. 1-2 microns is more the standard for replate. I doubt most reps have more than a micron of electroplating. Wrapped claims are bogus...true wrap is an expensive process of bonding 10K gold to brass and plating to 10 microns over that for a 20 year gold finish...can you see the Chinese doing this or doing quick dipping in electroplate and making exaggerated claims to sell stuff with no guarantees on the other side of the world?