When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A few Pics of DSN 5218/201a just received

Bruce

I'm sure this watch has its' faults, but it sure looks good on the wrist, and it keeps decent time. It is more difficult to grip the crown for winding than my 111H, not quite sure why. Anyway, it is surprisingly attractive for what seemed to me a fair price. I can upload larger pictures if anyone is interested.

Please see 1:34PM 2/11/08 post for additional pictures if interested. b

post-7126-1202681320_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202681411_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce

Looks good, but we need more pictures.

I'll post some shots tomorrow as suggested. It's night here, so here is a view of the lume. By the way, loved that ammo pouch strap. Where did that unlabeled pvd come from?

post-7126-1202712493_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the gen, from the distance logo is too big and the fonts are off. The colors on the rep seem to be pretty good. Now im asking the same question agaian and again, why davidsen cant get the his fonts right??? he is making the dials himself doesnt he notice the difference? one possibility is that the printing is done by the 3rd party and they screw it all up or simply dont care...sometimes it looks like they are doing this on purpose and scared to make it look too close to the gen! :g: or may e they just dont care...rep is a rep. But i still believe in davidsen! one day he out of all has the ability to come up with that one %99 "gen" watch.

post-6837-1202764956_thumb.jpg

Edited by mil_sub

NON-matching (different color on dial numbers/indices & hands) 201a and other Pre-V watches are the most desirable and they were the early Pre-Vs. The numbers and indices were painted with Tritium and then filled with Varnish. The Varnish reacted with the Tritium and gave it a dirty yellow almost orangish color. The Tritium on the hands was not treated with this varnish, hence the different color.

Some customers returned their watches due to this flaw & Panerai redid the dials by using a different type of varnish that did not react with the Tritium.

So in closing, the Non-matching effect on the early Pre-Vs is a flaw, but a flaw that gave the early Pre-Vs this unique contrasting look. This is the look that the world now drools over and why the Non-matching Pre-Vs go for 1/3 more $ than the matching ones.

Carpe Diem

Mil-Sub,

Actually is the font is pretty dard close. Also the Logo is very close. The problem is the line thickness or boldness of the font & logo. It should be opposite, meaning the font LUMINOR PANERAI should be a little more bold (line thickness as the current logo) & the Logo should be a little less bold (line thickness as the current font of LUMINOR PANERAI, this will make the logo look smaller and thus the right size).

Keep in mind the line thickness change is extemely small. The problem becomes obvious because you see both the font LUMINOR PANERAI & the LOGO together on the dial.

DSN has done a wonderful job and yes he is very close to perfect. I think it comes down to how far down the production line you are to make the change & how pressed you are to recoup some of the prototyping money. It's about dollars and cents. I think it is an extremely good start, and a version 2 of the dial might fix this issue along with the 6 and the 9.

Carpe Diem

I'm sure this watch has its' faults, but it sure looks good on the wrist, and it keeps decent time. It is more difficult to grip the crown for winding than my 111H, not quite sure why. Anyway, it is surprisingly attractive for what seemed to me a fair price. I can upload larger pictures if anyone is interested.

post-7126-1202681320_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202681411_thumb.jpg

Additional Pictures added 2/11/08 b

post-7126-1202761481_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202759874_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202759979_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202760047_thumb.jpgpost-7126-1202761045_thumb.jpg[atta

c

hment=20127:PAM_5218...Dial_Mod.jpg]

post-7126-1202762009_thumb.jpg

Mil-Sub,

Actually is the font is pretty dard close. Also the Logo is very close. The problem is the line thickness or boldness of the font & logo. It should be opposite, meaning the font LUMINOR PANERAI should be a little more bold (line thickness as the current logo) & the Logo should be a little less bold (line thickness as the current font of LUMINOR PANERAI, this will make the logo look smaller and thus the right size).

Keep in mind the line thickness change is extemely small. The problem becomes obvious because you see both the font LUMINOR PANERAI & the LOGO together on the dial.

................ I think it is an extremely good start, and a version 2 of the dial might fix this issue along with the 6 and the 9.

Carpe Diem

The text on the dial is too large and not bold enough and the logo is too large overall. If the logo was reduced to the correct size the line thickness would also reduce accordingly and would be OK. However the text font is too tall and the line thickness too fine. These problems could be sorted in a fresh print run but the basic problem is the incorrect shape of the 6 & 9 - the rest of the engraving is accurate with the 2 & 3 being spot-on.

It's a good start but shouldn't be in production at this stage. With the resources that Davidsen has at his disposal he should persevere and get it right.