When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seperating good reps from bad reps

Chuan

Hi guys,

I'm new to rep watches. I've been reading a little on the watch markets in GuangZhou. How do you tell which are the high quality reps from the crap/low quality reps? I mean apart from comparing the external looks of the watch. Also how would i know if the watch comes with a swiss eta or an asian moviement (the sellers could be lying when they say it's swiss)? Thanks for the help!

Welcome.

If you limit your buying to the Collectors here, you can be reasonably sure that what you see & read is what you will get. Take some trips to your local authorized dealer (AD) and try on the watch or watches you are interested in to learn how they feel & look on your wrist. Then go to the vendor's website and download as many pictures of your watch as you can. Then, and only then, should you consider yourself sufficiently informed to begin to make copious use of the Search link above to locate the best rep (for you).

Good luck.

Hi guys,

I'm new to rep watches. I've been reading a little on the watch markets in GuangZhou. How do you tell which are the high quality reps from the crap/low quality reps? I mean apart from comparing the external looks of the watch. Also how would i know if the watch comes with a swiss eta or an asian moviement (the sellers could be lying when they say it's swiss)? Thanks for the help!

Aside from its externals, the only way to determine the quality of a watch is to look at the movement. The only way looking at a movement will matter is if you learn to tell the difference between the common chinese movements used in reps and the gen ETA movements and their copies. There is plenty of info on this site to learn these things. Many of the sellers may not even let you open the watch up at all. One thing's for sure: don't believe anything they say. Confirm everything yourself, especially if they're trying to charge you top dollar for a "swiss" version. BTW there's no such thing as a swiss replica, just asian reps with swiss movements.

When I went to Thailand last year, every vendor "guaranteed" that their watches were 100% perfect replicas while handing me garbage such as quartz watches stamped as automatics and non-working chronos with crooked logos and missing hands. Even when I asked for the good stuff, I never found anything close to approaching the UPO, Link and SFSO qualities that we're used to. Funny thing is, many provided actual catalogs to prove how good their wares were. They only helped me see all the mistakes. Most of the vendors on the street are just pushing $10-$20 junk for casual tourists who get excited at the first rollie they see. I know the good stuff's out there, but they seem to be the exception by far rather than the norm. Unfortunately I didn't get to go to Maria's stall.

I don't know how GZ will compare, but even though I had been pretty excited about the watch markets in Thailand, the conclusion I brought home was that it's better to just get your fix from the recommended dealers here. That's the only way to know what you're getting, plus you'll have some recourse if you get a lemon (which you will eventually).

........the sellers could be lying when they say it's swiss...

If you get to Guangzhou and find yourself ever being told the truth at any stage,

look round quickly and see if you can catch a glimpse of the second coming of Christ.....

because youve just experienced a miracle!!!!

:D

Edited by narikaa

Thanks for the help guys. I've bought a couple of reps from thailand myself, and nope, i didn't go to maria's stall either. I've go as many pictures of the models i am interested in as well, so i was comparing the reps to the pictures i had. The next step for me is to learn more about the movements so in any case that i can look at the internals, i'll probably be able to differentiate a good rep from a bad rep. :)