When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please allow me to pick the brains of you experts out there...

Ztech

I've done my share of research on this, and other, forums, but would like to ask the experts out there on what they think. I would like to get the opinions from the esteemed experts from this forum on how to "create" the best rep. Notice I didn't say "perfect". I've read lots of threads and posts from those of you who are knowledgable and would like to complie, if possible, all that info. in a concise and organized thread. For the benefit of myself and others who might find themselves in a similar position.

First, if you were to set out on creating the best PAM rep what would you need? And, of course the all important, who would you source it from?

1. SS case

2. Crown

3. Crown guard

4. Crystal (AR coating???)

5. Dial

6. Hands

7. Movement

I'd like to keep this as simple as it can get so I'm gonna limit this rep to a SS case, closed back, with a manual wind movement. Something in the lines of a PAM005. Please be as specific as possible and include if you need AR coating, re-lume, etc.

My sincere thanks to all of you on this forum for your consideration and help. It's definitely appreciated.

I suppose that the best start is to get any gen parts that you can, then whichever Jimmy Fu parts you can find, a Palp crown if you haven't got a gen and add a Swiss 6497 behind a solid caseback. However, you may find the gen / JF / Palp bits very costly and difficult to source so then you are talking about normal rep parts. There is little difference between one rep SS case and the next - they are all pretty good and can be upgraded with the gen / JF bits later if they turn up. In my experience most rep hands are the same and they are OK. If you are going for a solid back watch the regular CG is correct only for the A - D series so that rules out the 000 & 005. The rep 001 / 111 or 002 / 112 dials are reasonably accurate except for the droopy As. That helps me to favour the 002 as there are only half as many incorrect As on it.

If you are going down this route you should find a dealer who can supply a 002B, get the best crown you can find and enjoy it. A relume may be nice but if you have lights in your house it's really not necessary. A standard 002B with a Palp crown is pretty good. The Palp crown will tighten any looseness in the CG lever when it's closed so will give you an opportunity to fine tune the standard CG.

Hey PAMman, I'm thinking of purchasing a PAM111H or a PAM111E from either DavidSen or Angus. Which of them do you suggest I inquire with? I know that they're both reliable as dealers, but I'm looking for who's got the "better" rep to start my project from. I understand that upgrades and work will need to be done, but who's rep will require the least amount of changes and will make a better foundation to begin on? Thanks.

Hey PAMman, I'm thinking of purchasing a PAM111H or a PAM111E from either DavidSen or Angus. Which of them do you suggest I inquire with? I know that they're both reliable as dealers, but I'm looking for who's got the "better" rep to start my project from. I understand that upgrades and work will need to be done, but who's rep will require the least amount of changes and will make a better foundation to begin on? Thanks.

Davidsen is not the way if accuracy is what you're looking for.

All the existing 111/112 H-series sandwich dials are way off. You'd also need a different CG, which to date doesn't exists.

So that leaves the 'Ultimate' 111E from Angus, which comes with the more accurate 'filled indices' sausage dial and a beefy crown. The CG, however, comes with a wrong positioned lever pin, which you could swap for a standard rep polished CG.

Davidsen is not the way if accuracy is what you're looking for.

All the existing 111/112 H-series sandwich dials are way off. You'd also need a different CG, which to date doesn't exists.

So that leaves the 'Ultimate' 111E from Angus, which comes with the more accurate 'filled indices' sausage dial and a beefy crown. The CG, however, comes with a wrong positioned lever pin, which you could swap for a standard rep polished CG.

Thanks for the advice scoobs. It's much appreciated. Man I'm learning this isn't a simple thing to do. My hats off to all you experts out there who've had the patience to learn.