When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stem Removal Screw

bbell6

In removing the stem on a 6497, I apparantly lossened the screw too much. There is a small piece that the screw appears to screw into that is loose. It sits under the three and pokes out from under the dial a little. I'm not really sure how to get it back in position so that I can put the screw back in place. Any suggestions? Do I have to remove the dial?

Great information, right on point. I just wish I'd seen it before I screwed up. :lol:

How to do it: Open the setting lever screw 1 to 1.5 turns only! Why is this red? Because if you open that screw and the screw disconnects from the setting lever, you will have take off the dial and hands in order to assemble it again! This is one of the most common traps for amateur watchmakers and of course I stepped into it once or twice too even I knew exactly 1 to 1.5 turns only. It normally happens if you open that screw 1.5 turns and the stem does not move out even you pull firmly. Instead of opening the setting lever screw 2 or more turns and ending up having to take off the hands and dial, WIGGLE the stem a bit while pulling it. The stem's collar has to slip under the retaining setting lever. Even better: open the setting lever screw one turn and then try to pull. Add another half turn and pull again. If the stem still does not come out, push the stem/crown completely in and out again, sometimes this will free it too. In any case, do not open the setting lever screw too much, if you did, you willl have to follow this link: how to remove hands and dial in order to rearrange the setting mechanism in its original position.