When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me choose my next project..

rnewbie

Hi Everyone,

Please help me choose my next project. I really want a PAM with a power reserve. My first choice is the PAM 27A but it proving very difficult to

get one.

In the meantime - I'd like to embark on another PAM project. One that has a power reserve. Ultimately I'd like one that as close the GEN as possible (will do the necessary mods).

Can the PAM experts out there point me in the right direction? How's the PAM 90? The reps I've seen have the date pusher on the side which I don't think is correct.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

Edited by rnewbie

I've asked the same question before and the general consensus is that the PAM111H PAM111E's are pretty close to the gen and are readily available. As I've been told, all reps have faults and you pretty much won't find one that's already perfect. Well, other than the gen. So from what I've learned so far is that you should start your project with a pretty good jump off point, such as a PAM111 and then "upgrade" from there. Then you should have a pretty good jump off point to get to your "perfect" rep. Good luck.

I think that rnewbie was heading to a PR PAM.

In this case, unfortunately, very few choices:

Your best option is a 028A, as it it is the only one that can go to 99.9% accuracy after good modding (new crown, PVD, datewheel, cyclops).

Sold out since a long long time. And noone is going to offer it on the 2nd wrist market.

Your 2nd option is a 2892-A2 027A. Almost like the 028A, and without the PVD hassle. Mods required: crown, datewheel, cyclops.

Just, it lacks the "sunken" PR gauge, so it can go to 99% accuracy at most (not so bad, IMO).

Sold out like the 028A, but a little less rare, so it might surface out again on the 2nd wrist market at times.

Your 3rd option is a Silix' inexpensive 027A (80 USD), then heavily modding it (new crown, datewheel, cyclops, caseback).

Just, it has an Asian auto (DG 3886) inside instead of an ETA 2892-A2, so the size of the case and crystal, and the position of the PR pin, are slightly different than the gen. Even after full modding, it can go to 80-90% accuracy at most.

Your 4th option is a 090. Great movement (Seagull ST/TY 2530), possibly the best of all, but the quick-date-change side pusher is a giveout in terms of accuracy. Also, the position of the PR pin is slightly inaccurate, and the position of the date window is grossly inaccurate.

Finding a different case with no side pusher, that can accept that movement, is a nightmare (neither ajoesmith nor I have been successful at it so far), as the Seagull 2530 is the thickest movement ever.

Thanks so much for the info sssurfer!

It looks like if I want accuracy I'll have to wait it out and hope that someone sells 28A or 27A. There have been a couple of 27A that hit the market recently and I

just missed on getting my hands on it.

thanks again.