When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luftwaffe or Kampfschwimmer?

anton

I've been debating lately between the two. I took a look back into my collection and figured I would like a watch that has some actual historical value, rather than the ones that are (or were) replicas of those made for WWII.

In case you didn't know, these are the two watches I am talking about:

This one is one of the Kampfschwimmer (German Commando Frogmen) examples:

pane1xg4.png

and this is the Luftwaffe (German Air Force) example:

iwc.bigpilot.jpeg

As we all know, both watches carry a pretty premium, but it has invaluable historical value.

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

Buying a gen?! When you say a 'premium', you do realise that a fairly average 3646 would demand around $60,000, whilst a 6152/1 with an Angelus movement could be anywhere from $100,000 upwards if you're looking for a decent model? That's a lot of money for someone who hangs around on rep boards!

I guess I was in way over my head when I thought about the Kampfschwimmer.

I thought about the Luftwaffe initally because I've had the fortune to purchase a IWC Big Pilot. Then I thought about historical value, Stan's Steinhart, and who made one that would be less than the BP in cost.

Little did I know that Lange commisioned some watches and they sell for around $5K today. Seems to be more affordable.

The Kampfschwimmer would be nothing but a dream, though.

I guess I was in way over my head when I thought about the Kampfschwimmer.

I thought about the Luftwaffe initally because I've had the fortune to purchase a IWC Big Pilot. Then I thought about historical value, Stan's Steinhart, and who made one that would be less than the BP in cost.

Little did I know that Lange commisioned some watches and they sell for around $5K today. Seems to be more affordable.

The Kampfschwimmer would be nothing but a dream, though.

A nice dream though! The Pilot watch would be awesome - some of the old Laco's are really nice, but a bit big (55mm IIRC!).

laco1yh3.jpg

How about something unique like a Hamilton 'USN Buships' Canteen watch? Certainly a head turner with a lot of historical value - it was a 40's US Frogman standard-issue watch (same as the 3646).

hamilton_usn_buships_canteen_frogman_watch.jpg

hamilton_usn_buships_canteen_frogman_watch_cap2.jpg

hamiltonbushipscanteendial.jpg

Don't forget the Zeppelinfliegers....

At least a couple of photos and the topic here are a bit painful for me... (recent, not ancient, history), so I'll just wish you luck on your quest...

My family was affected by the actions of WWII, but I learnt to move on by absorbing the history of the military(ies) of the various wars and I like to carry a bit of memorabilia so that it can better explained to future generations. Our evolution, if you will.

I am buying a Hamilton Navy BU Ships watch and getting the watch refinished.

The irony is that my wife is Jewish and my late great-uncle was a German military man.

Anton, painful recent history, as in at least two of the watches already mentioned here, were, but are no longer, in my collection. Even more painful now, as my collection is yet again undergoing a major sell off, only a small parcel visible here in this corner of my life.

My family name is German, (more Swiss German these days), my mother's family name French (although more related to theme parks these days) and family history crosses all the lines and all the sides of almost every major conflict since 1066.

Again, I wish you luck with your search.