When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Glashütte Original: A Spectacular Fantasy

dlgates

(These are old photo reviews rescued from the original RWG site; I didn't want them to get lost forever! Old hands will already have seen them; some newbies might be interested.-- Dave)

Glashütte Original: a Spectacular Fantasy

Received from Narikaa 10th August 2005

SS; guilloche dial; diameter 43mm; double date windows, retrograde/flyback days-of-week, power reserve

Here is an example of a magnificent fantasy watch--who really could care if Glashütte made this exact model? Actually it is not even an approximation or facsimile of any genuine Glashütte Original. But it is extremely rare to see a retrograde days-of-the-week fan, and the power reserve is fully functional and quite accurate. I hand-wound it to 'Haut' (which I assume to represent about 48 hours), and it had been sitting idle for a full day when I snapped these pictures tonight. While I was wearing it over a two-day period, it maintained its power at near maximum. The details of the guilloche face are striking and well executed, and the unusual hands are appropriate to the face. The reference to A:Helwig is the Alfred Helwig who invented the cantilevered tourbillon in the 1920's and whose name has been associated with more than one of the brands of the Lange-Glashütte heritage.

This is, I believe, one of the most unusual and beautiful watches that Narikaa has yet found on one of his buying trips. At 43mm, it is also a hefty and masculine watch as well as dressy. That says enough, so on to the pictures.

71187-32609.jpg

71187-32610.jpg

71187-32611.jpg

71187-32612.jpg

71187-32613.jpg

71187-32614.jpg

71187-32615.jpg

71187-32616.jpg

71187-32617.jpg

71187-32618.jpg

71187-32619.jpg

71187-32620.jpg