When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best way for coating a Bell & Ross

Magiko

untitled.bmpHello everyone,

I have a rookie inquiry for all of you. I feel quite adventurous this week and I may attempt to coat one of my automatic BR. I have extensively read at the forum about oxiclean treatment in Panerai pieces. I am wondering if this would work on BR as well, the steel seems quite hefty. If this is possible I think I would like to give it a try.

But not so fast, I tried to open my BR and the face comes of quite easily, but i do not know what to do after that ( movement hands) I also need to know how to take the crown off as it will be put to the bubbly torture as well.

Is there a how to dismantle guide I can refer to? Or could any of you give me some guidance on how to take the BR apart?

Thank you all so much

Magiko

But not so fast, I tried to open my BR and the face comes of quite easily, but i do not know what to do after that ( movement hands) I also need to know how to take the crown off as it will be put to the bubbly torture as well.

Is there a how to dismantle guide I can refer to? Or could any of you give me some guidance on how to take the BR apart?

Thank you all so much

Magiko

For future reference, unscrew the "DO NOT UNSCREW" screw.

Underneath it is the stem release button.

Take a toothpick or pin to press on it. Apply light pressure as to not damage the keyless works of the movement.

Thanks Anton, I will try that. I also need to remove the movement in order to leave the case bare. do you know how to do that? what's your take on oxiclean, if not good for BR do you know any other method of coating I could try. As I have mentioned before this is a seriuos hobby for me, but that's it. I am certainly not trying to steal anyones lunch. Thanks again

Be extremely cautious on removing the dial!

The dial has sort of a plastic ring that duplicates the bezel on the inner side of the bezel.

The ring is inserted and fixed on the dial by means of tiny plastic pins.

Do not pull the ring, rather instert a flat blade between the dial and the ring, and make gentle lever action to remove the ring pin after pin, also taking care not to scratch the dial.

I scratched the dial and got the ring deformated by pulling it. Watch ruined. And The Zigmeister withdrew from working on B&R because of their tricky construction.

Member ajoesmith used to provide PVD coating for B&R.