When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Grande Complication

dlgates

(These are old photo reviews rescued from the original RWG site; I didn't want them to get lost forever! Old hands will already have seen them; some newbies might be interested.-- Dave)

IWC Grande Complication

Received 23rd March 2005 from Jos Nana

SS; diameter 42 mm excluding crown & pushers; day, month, date, faux moon phase, military time, year

The authentic watch is pictured here and carries a suggested retail price of $200,000 USD for the platinum version with leather strap. Of course it is a chronograph in addition to having all the functions of this replica, and also a minute repeater! Production is 50 per year, and the movement has 68 jewels. The diameter is the same as this replica, 42mm. It comes with a 400-page booklet.

71190-32597.jpg

Obviously no replica could be produced approaching this level of limited-production watch. However, it is a handsome piece nonetheless and has managed to emulate the original in several interesting ways. The minute repeater controller on the left side of the case is functional and used to set the day of the week on the 9 o'clock subdial. The 2 o'clock pusher sets the month on the 12 o'clock subdial. The 4 o'clock pusher sets the date on the 3 o'clock subdial. A small recessed pusher located just below the left 12 o'clock lug and above the minute repeater controller sets the year, Regarding the year, the "20" is fixed, so a wheel conveys only the right two digits. I have not attempted to determine the limits, but a number of watches displaying the year are limited to about ten years.

71190-32598.jpg

71190-32599.jpg

71190-32600.jpg

A few obvious deviations from the original are readily seen. The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock subdials are exchanged, since virtually all Asian movements that display subdials for day, month, date, and sun/moon/military time are arranged this way (the year wheel is an addition). The hour markers on the replica are slightly longer. The crown has more knurls than on the original and has a protrusion on the end as well as a slightly exposed shank next to the case..

The back is, of course, one of those things it is virtually impossible to find a picture of for the original. If one assumes that the overall design is similar to the original, then one less-than-glaring fault is on the rotor: "BEVEN(7)DAYS POWER RESERVE". As for "IDESTRIERO SCAFUSIA"--I have no idea!

71190-32601.jpg

71190-32602.jpg

71190-32603.jpg

71190-32604.jpg

Some broader views...

71190-32605.jpg

71190-32606.jpg

71190-32607.jpg

And finally, on the wrist:

71190-32608.jpg

General conclusions: a very nice attempt to emulate an absurdly expensive grande complication and maintain as many features as possible. The watch is comfortable to wear, and is the type of faux chronograph I enjoy in that it carries the essential information correctly marked. It is the type of watch I personally prefer to call an "approximation" instead of "replica". It is not a fantasy watch by any means, but approximates a genuine watch within reasonable limits.

THE END

Thanks for looking!