When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

cannon pinion

jnagy

what do i need for a longer cannon pinion on my 127?it is a base eta 6497.anybody have part numbers?

I dont get it either. No one seems to want to touch this topic. I think I will use these words ("cannon pinion mod") to stop all RWG disagreements and arguments in the future. With one phrase all communication ceases on RWG......Hey, this is better than being the moderator of this site. :lol: Think of the power implications ;)

The reason why most people don't answer is because:

1) They don't know the answer themselves

2) It's a question that could easily be answered by using the search feature.

You can do the cannon pin mod yourself. Not only do you need a longer cannon pin, you also need a longer hour wheel.

img1136tn6.jpg

Carefull. There are several heights available. The correct height cannon pinion and hour wheel may not be as displayed for the Asian 6497mod. Those may be the correct replacement parts for an ETA, but are those the correct height for the Asian mod we are doing. I found there are three or four different hieghts available from ETA. I believe I read the CP should be 3.15mm and the HW should be 2.15mm. Correct me if I am wrong. (Source=Cousins)

Edited by 894tom

man this gets confusing.i have a SWISS eta to modify.confident i can do the work.are the above photos the correct parts or not?i guess i can buy the shorter H2 and the H3 if worse comes to worse.try it and see,right?

man this gets confusing.i have a SWISS eta to modify.confident i can do the work.are the above photos the correct parts or not?i guess i can buy the shorter H2 and the H3 if worse comes to worse.try it and see,right?

The CP is friction fit so I don't know if I would change these pieces around experimentally. I am not gonna do it until I know I have the right parts. In other words, when working on cars, I would never try to use a Ford tire and "see" if it will work on a Toyota. I am not a watchsmith, but I know from other metal working that everytime you mess with a friction fit piece the connection loosens a little everytime. I think the same rule would apply here. Just a guess though.

I am trying to find an answer as well on the CP and HW sizes, when/if I do, I will post them on this thread.

.....you say you have the swiss ETA movement in your watch. after alot of previous research on here (unrelated to this thread, but about the Panerai rep movement) and my own personal experience with my own watches, I have found that although the Asian distributors claim that you are buying the Swiss ETA Panerai...its still just an Asian copy and therefore you will need the CP and HW swap. You sure you have a gen ETA? Every watch with a gen ETA (that I have known about) does not need the mod. If it is a gen ETA and it needs a mod that proves there are several sizes out there for the ETA and thus ,why should you waste your time and money on the wrong part. Let me know, I am curious....BTW pics would really help. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. ;) Good Luck. I'm working on this same issue too so we should def. share info about this issue.

Let me tell you guys my experience.

The parts pictured I got from Davidsen. I used it for my Swiss 6497 along with Davidsen's superlumed hands set.

When I did my Asian 6497 I got from Eddie Lee a year ago. No cannon pinion & hour wheel was needed. Only used another set of Davidsen's superlumed hands.

Swiss 6497

img1066au5.gif

Asian 6497

img1441lc3.jpg

flushvp9.gif

well,i'd post photos but i don't have a camera.is that weird?anyway i assure you it is a plain old undecorated swiss eta 6497.if i can find them i'm going to go with evildee's parts he listed. [240 and 250 ]

if you can, please post the results. I would love to know. Thanks.

PS. I recently purchased a practice Asian copy movement. It came with longer CP and HW. I will let you know the size and if it works tommorrow when I work on the watch.

cool,i contacted navigater and he has correct parts.now i need the best lume for a sandwich dial.

I just placed the new cannon pin in (from the replacement practice movement I just got). It still was not tall enough. So I used the tip given in this thread (about filing down the minute hand). It works. I used 220 grit sand paper and sanded it down. I pressed it on.....with the wrong tip, and scratched the paint off the hand. Nice. So, I used a black perm marker on it and you know what, it doesn't look bad. I will have to give it the ole look in the sun tommorow and see if I need to buy a new set of hands because that color black seems to turn purple if memory serves me right....but for now it looks fine. Man what a pain in the [censored] it is keeping all the dust off the dial and the inside of the crystals. Had to take it apart twice after my first install. Anyhoo, I will look at it tommorrow and see how it looks in the sun. Keep you posted.

I just placed the new cannon pin in (from the replacement practice movement I just got). It still was not tall enough. So I used the tip given in this thread (about filing down the minute hand). It works. I used 220 grit sand paper and sanded it down. I pressed it on.....with the wrong tip, and scratched the paint off the hand. Nice. So, I used a black perm marker on it and you know what, it doesn't look bad. I will have to give it the ole look in the sun tommorow and see if I need to buy a new set of hands because that color black seems to turn purple if memory serves me right....but for now it looks fine. Man what a pain in the [censored] it is keeping all the dust off the dial and the inside of the crystals. Had to take it apart twice after my first install. Anyhoo, I will look at it tommorrow and see how it looks in the sun. Keep you posted.

I am satisfied with the perm marker results. In sunlight you really have to look for the chipped paint edge to see the problem area. If you know where the problem is, you can see it, but I know where it is and I had to look at it several times to locate it. The tell lies more wth the thickness of the paint than the color of the paint. I will eventually purchase a new set of hands if the paint comes off or fades, but for now......no way useless cause. What is more outstanding now is the shiney cannon pin fix which looks really good when sitting flush.

Also to add another tip for other first timers...the hands bend very easily. Look at the profile of the watch after the install or in other words look at the horizon of the watch and make sure the hands were not bent while installing the hands. My minute hand was bend down slightly from my careless pushing and needed to be leveled off before I placed the movement into the case. Beautiful job all in all. Hope this helped someone.

Edited by 894tom

• 5 months later...