When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Those of you with a large collection...

Having a lot of watches serviced is an expensive maintenance. For those who have a large collection of reps, how many of those do you get serviced or plan on getting serviced? Surely there must be loads which you plan to just 'run to the ground' (use it until the movement is killed).

Those of us that have 10+ watches, will alternate from day to day. I, myself, have changed watches 2 - 3 times a day... although not that often.

Most of the watches don't get worn daily... maybe once a week, some once a month, some twice a year. So they last longer than watches that are worn daily... hence I don't get most of them serviced as long as they keep good time.

I do plan to get one of my watches with A7750 serviced cause I intend to wear it more often.

Wearing the watch or not wearing the watch, having it on a winder, or not, the oil has a life of about 5-7 years, and then it's gone, dried up, or just turned into thick gunk.

A good solution if you have the time and skill, is to take the Time Zone Watchmaking course, it will allow you to service a handwind up to a 2836 type of movement...

Or run them till they die, or schedule them for servicing over time like you would a car for oil changes and regular maintenance...

RG

... that's if you're still taking in watches for service / mods...

Yes, just send me a pm when your ready.

@ scoobs

I don't even offer servicing for the 21J Asian auto's, it's cheaper and better to simply swap the movement with a Miyota 8215...and the Miyota is a great movement.

Servicing is simply the cost of owning a mechanical movement, unlike quartz that has no tension from a mainspring, a mechanical movement needs regular attention if it's expected to keep working.

At least we have 5-7 years with today's oils, 40 years ago you were expected to have your watch serviced every year...

RG

Ah to service or not to service. Personally I find it hard to justify the expense - since I pay $60 to $80 for my reps on the street. I just upgrade the bands and wear them. I have a gen Omega SMP that is approaching its 48th birthday this summer and is overdue service - trouble is the SMP service will likely cost several hundred dollars - money that could land me several nice reps! Hence I wear the Omega less and hopefully postpone the inevitable failure...

As my collection has grown, service has become a greater consideration.

The Zigmeister is finishing preventive service on the second 7750 that I have sent his way. At this time I have at least one more 7750 that I hope to send his way for preventive service in the next few months.

The non-chrono ETAs will probably wait a few years before I have them serviced, unless of course one happens to break down before then.

Non-ETA regular (non-chrono) watches will probably be retired when or if they die.

New purchases are evaluated along with my service plans as part of my overall hobby budget.

As my collection has grown, service has become a greater consideration.

The Zigmeister is finishing preventive service on the second 7750 that I have sent his way. At this time I have at least one more 7750 that I hope to send his way for preventive service in the next few months.

The non-chrono ETAs will probably wait a few years before I have them serviced, unless of course one happens to break down before then.

Non-ETA regular (non-chrono) watches will probably be retired when or if they die.

New purchases are evaluated along with my service plans as part of my overall hobby budget.

What does The Zigmeister charge for a PM?

Guest uzername

After reading The Zigmeister's posts whatever he would charge I am sure is more than reasonable...

I have approximately 500 watches mainly 300 or so replicas Miyota and ETA and Asian and valjoux

Since a new movement is $125 new for a Asian 7750 Service should be a moot point as it is cheaper to replace the movement from eBay, when it breaks I have about 15 watches that have the Asian 7750 and I have been replacing them with genuine used VAJ 7733 even though a smaller movement I just put a small ring around the movements in the case surprisingly enough these can be made with various scopes I get broken 30mm scopes from my local pawn shop and cut the correct thickness about 8mm with my band saw then just file the holes for the pushers and stem then clean, sand and polish...slow and steady

The concern I have is the 2894 and 2836 movements are now being used in more and more expensive watches so there will be a time in the near future parts will be harder to come $buy

So I believe the asian watch movement companies will be producing replacements and they are even Ronda has already come up with replacements for all the ETA Swiss Quartz.

Also I found a great website

http://zibet.net/horology.html is the main page

http://zibet.net/watches.html

What does The Zigmeister charge for a PM?