When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bespoke Suits vs Off-the-shelf

The Mentalist

I have only tried off the rack.  My build allows to fit in nicely in most suits i.e RL, CK, Ted Baker, Black and Brown the usual brands in a department store.....and yes depending on the brand or cut, it will need some tailoring to complete the fit...more so on the back just below the collar.  I do would like to get a bespoke one of these days....i think it would be a fabulous splurge.  

I just found this thread.

Suit Supply is a very gimmick laden concept that relies purely on the ignorance of quality tailoring. They are an off-the-rack and Made-to-measure operation that relies on quick turnover. All their suits are fused with ZERO hand finishing. Don't expect working cuff buttons, hand felled linings, real horn buttons and full canvassing. This is 'tailoring' for the iPod generation who want instant gratification. This is not bespoke, this isn't even MTM. This is pre-conceived designs from a defined 'collection' that are just altered to fit the client. It's like choosing a new sofa and being asked the material and colour you want it. It is choice, but choice within a certain set of parameters defined by the seller. Hardly bespoke and hardly 'custom-made'.

I trained under the legendary jewish tailor Albert Broider (a contemporary of the equally legendary tailor Scholte) and he was the one who pointed out how good the M&S MtM suits actually were. I had a look and I was impressed. Personally, I would take an M&S suit over SuitSupply any day of the week.

Wow....never thought of M&S as a destination for suits....will certainly consider that.  Thanks!

Ofcourse bespokes are far better than off the shelf suits, because off the shelf suits are not according to our specifications, they are always comes in standard sizes. On the other way bespoke suits are totally opposite than off-the-shelfs. Bespoke suits are exactly according to our fit. As bespoke define by itself, bespoke -> What we spoke to the tailor. Tailor will follow each and every description. Wearing tailored suits is also a very good experience and also a very good feel. Sunnyscustomtailor are very famous in tailored suits.